Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   We leave Sunday--Passport expires 86 days after return (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/we-leave-sunday-passport-expires-86-days-after-return-530187/)

Marci_77 May 19th, 2005 05:19 AM

We leave Sunday--Passport expires 86 days after return

Oh Crap! I just saw a recent posting on this, and it was the first we've heard of it. My husbands passport expires 86 days after our return date. We leave for Italy on Sunday (today is Thursday).
Although we contacted the US Department of State and they said everything was fine, the Italian Consulate official said we have to have our passport renewed.
Our county clerk of courts said this was "impossible".
Any advice?

jay May 19th, 2005 05:22 AM

Don't worry about it. Have fun. Do it when you get back.

billy_boy May 19th, 2005 05:28 AM

The previous poster might not have fully understood what the Italian Consulate told you to do, plus the potential ramifications of not doing so. That is, they may turn you around to go back when you arrive at the Italian port-of-entry.

This has not happended to me, but isn't there a fast passport renewal (48-hrs) process?

Intrepid1 May 19th, 2005 05:31 AM

There is a fast passport renewal but I seriously doubt you need to do this now.

As to the "national ramifications"....hmmmm, I doubt there will be any international incidents over this.

Have a wonderful trip.

ira May 19th, 2005 05:33 AM

Hi marci,

When we had a similar situation, we had no problem.

The Italian Embassy in DC said that as long as your passport still has 90 days on it on the day you leave it is OK.

>Our county clerk of courts said this was "impossible".<

Humph! It can be done in less than a week, if necessary.

((I))

Byrd May 19th, 2005 05:56 AM

It can be done in a day, if necessary. We live in Alabama and a friend drove to New Orleans, four hours away, and came home with her new pasport that afternoon.

Our son said several people in his company (in Birmingham) have done the same.

I suppose it depends upon how close you live to whatever office handles that sort of thing.

Byrd

Intrepid1 May 19th, 2005 06:05 AM

The question has never really been whether or not it can be done since we all know that it can; rather whether or not you believe what the US Sate department says or the Italian Consular Official...

So, what's your thinking?

jules4je7 May 19th, 2005 06:17 AM

It's one thing to have a bureaucrat say that you must renew, it could be just fine when you approach the Italian customs agent upon arrival.

I've had a similar situation when I arrived in Brazil, and found that breaking down in tears works wonders, but then I was a teenage girl at the time, so that might not work for your husband. ;)

If you can haul a** to a processing place, I'd do it just to avoid the possibility that you get a customs agent who's having a bad day and wants to make yours worse. I'm in Denver and my passport application got shipped to me from Seattle, so I'd have no choice at this point but to go with the one I have and pray it works.

Live and learn.

Jules

starrsville May 19th, 2005 06:19 AM

There are companies that do 24 or 48 hour service for a fee. I've used the one in Atlanta before.

I would recheck with the Italian Consulate - or have Plan B. Provence is lovely.

Intrepid1 May 19th, 2005 06:44 AM

Yes, whatever you do please do not rely on the "breaking down in tears" routine since it is oh so "women are pieces of meat to be used accordingly and then discarded" era....

jules4je7 May 19th, 2005 07:09 AM

Intrepid -- Just so you know, I only did it as a last resort. I have two passports, as I'm a dual national (born in Brazil to American parents), and happened to be going to Brazil as an exchange student. They saw I had two passports (they had to see both to see why I lacked Portuguese skills and a visa stamp in my Brazilian one). Of course it's a trap, since owning two passports is illegal in some countries...like Brazil. They wanted me to *CHOOSE A COUNTRY* -- and I knew that if I chose Brazil, I'd never go home, and if I chose the US, I'd be back on the next plane since I needed a visa if I was not a Brazilian national.

I think tears were in order. ;)

jules4je7 May 19th, 2005 07:10 AM

And by the way, it worked. Like a charm. The guy just waved me in since he didn't want to deal with the faucets.

rkkwan May 19th, 2005 07:19 AM

For the OP's husband, it is clearly NOT okay. Like ira says, you need 90 days remaining on your passport <b>when you leave Italy.</b> And unless he's taking a ship to get back to the US, he's not in compliance.

Of course, chances are nobody will care, but what if he was asked when entering Italy (or one of the Schengen countries) when he's leaving? Is he prepared to lie? Again, chances are nothing will happen, but will he and should he take the chance?

jody May 19th, 2005 07:31 AM

I read Ira's post as being 90 days on it when you leave (depart) from the USA! Maybe Ira needs to clarify.

mari5 May 19th, 2005 07:57 AM

It would be next to impossible to get your new passport at this time. WE had a similar situation for travel last month,,,but discovered it 6 weeks prior , so were able to get our new passports in time.'
However, I truly think you will be safe, ....his passport will STILL be valid on the dates you travel.. and how is one to really know about the 90 days unless they happen to come across it when reading an article or posting.
I called all around (we were visiting 3 countries, GErmany, Austria, Italy, but arrival and departure Germany.)..and got several different answers, so it seems a little &quot;unsure&quot; on the part of the cousulates even.

You have no choice but to go and have a good time, and I feel like you will be fine. He HAS a valid passport...and as far as you know, that is GOOD! right.?

jay May 19th, 2005 08:07 AM

It is not a problem as I have said before. I had a similar situation and only 50 days on my passport. And yes it was after 9-11. It is not a problem. What is the expiration date for anyway? Do you think the Italians won't let you out of the country if you only have 86 days left on your passport? My guess is that they will.

allisonm May 19th, 2005 08:07 AM

We live in upstate NY and one year my son's passport renewal didn't seem like it would get here in time. (Thanks to our local congressman, we got it with a day or two to spare!) But it looked like my husband and son were going to have to drive to Boston or NYC to the federal office, where (we were assured) it could be done THAT day. I don't think it can be done at the county level.

starrsville May 19th, 2005 08:11 AM

Call these guys and see what they say -
A International Visa Services

They've done rush renewed passports for friends before. Passports and visas are their business.

Ask them what they think about you being able to travel to Italy. If they think there is a problem, they may know of an option near you.

The fees are pricey, but they can do the job. You don't have a lot of time to ponder. As I understand it, the passports are FedEx'd to the courier service that walks it through the process in Miami - but that might not be accurate. Ask them. They will know a) if there is a problem b) how to fix it if there is and c) whether or not it's too late to do anything about it.

starrsville May 19th, 2005 08:13 AM

When I googled I found two other passport services that say they offer guaranteed 24 hour service - but I know the service in the above post can do the job.

starrsville May 19th, 2005 08:17 AM

Forgot to give you the number -
800-627-1112

Found the website - www.visalady.com

T.I.S. Inc. International Visa Service
416 Hammond Drive, NE
Atllanta, GA 30328

No, I have no connection with them - they've just provided good service in the past