Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We just moved to London and want to plan a few trips on weekends....We are thinking somewhere in Ireland in October...

Search

We just moved to London and want to plan a few trips on weekends....We are thinking somewhere in Ireland in October...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people tell us that dublin is not worth it thoughts? We like to do very high end travel, any suggestions?
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:08 AM

Dublin? Not worth it?

Who on earth is telling you this?

Any travel is good travel, Dublin has very good shopping (if that's what you're looking for) but they do appear to have security guards at the doors - for shoplifting! not your security.

The bars and restaurants are generally good - follow the crowds, you might have to wait for a while to be seated but good food is worth waiting for.

We did the bus tour and then walked the city - we ended up at a bar under the rail track called (I believe) 'The Post Office'. Very relaxing in the afternoon, but funky toilets (2000).

Dublin is a wonderful place with wonderful locals. Please don't miss out!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM

You really need to be specific about what you want. Dublin is a nice and good weekend away as far as transport from London is concerned. I have been living here 10 years and if it was that awful I would not have stayed. Its a small city, manageable and walkable with lots to do for a weekend. I love it here in Oct when the Autumn sets in.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Maybe you can explain high end travel specifics? transportation, accomodation, food??? what are your requirements? Dublin is a fun city for a weekend. There are tons of places in Ireland that are great to visit. Personally I prefer the country when I visit.
Good luck in London. That is the favorite out of all the places I've lived!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

We don't love to shop or sightsee. We love to try local restaurants and walk around quaint areas. We love staying at nice hotels with good service and we love the areas that have nice places to stay, but aren't as touristy. I am also open to more places? We were thinking switzerland over the winter? this is our list, so if u know of anything, please let me know!
Prague
Croatia
Portugal
Spain (barcelona, madrid, coast, Ibiza)
Italy (lake como, milan, venice)
South Africa
Sweden
Scotland
Switzerland
Austria
Ireland
Copenhagan
Istanbul (4 seasons)
Russia
Maldives

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Just checked and Ryanair still offering Stansted-Dublin for GBP 1 pence. Must be booked by September 12.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM

If you like quaint you might want to try somewhere else in Ireland. Dublin is an exciting city, but not quaint. I think you said Ireland in Oct was just a weekend? Maybe a 3 day one? if there's a holiday. You could fly to Shannon and see county Clare-with the cliffs of moher or go to county kerry.Or fly into cork and then explore west cork.
If you go to Venice and Lake Como I would go soon or after the rains. Venice is not as enjoyable when its flooded. Edinburgh is a great place to visit! If Ireland doesn't work out for oct go there. A friend just went to Sweden for their honeymoon and loved it. You didn't mention France, but maybe thats because you've already done that. My husband and I also enjoyed Krakow. I hope any of this helps. Try checking the postings on the Ireland board for more suggestions.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM

check Ryanair.com and let your imagination really wander.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM

I'm not sure Ryan Air will apppeal to "high end travelers". I also think their imagination has already wandered. Their list of possibilities is almost endless.

dgrosalind...If you're really thinking of visiting Dublin, go for it. There is plenty to see and do in Ireland's capital.