We have an itinerary--we think--Driving Loop of UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying this again, since we had to cancel the trip we were supposed to take in September (and had been trying to plan for a decade).

Travelers are myself (54), DH (55), and DS (turning 26 with mild delays). Our current itinerary (subject possibly to change) is into Heathrow from Philadelphia (booked) on Fri Jul. 9, arriving on Sat Jul. 10 and staying at the Sofitel at T5 (booked). We'll pick up a car there on Sunday the 11th, and tentatively plan to drive to Kew Gardens, Ealing, and Watford (not booked). In Watford, we'll visit Harry Potter Studios in Watford (also not booked) and drive to Warwick on Monday, possibly by way of Waddesdon Manor. We were planning to stay either somewhere on the way or in Warwick Monday night (not booked), and at Warwick Castle's own accommodation on Tuesday (not booked-and not cheap-but adorable woodland lodges that include tickets in the booking price).

From Warwick, we plan to drive to Dudley, stay somewhere near there on Wednesday and Thursday (not booked), and visit Cadbury World and the Black Country Living History Museum. On Friday morning we're driving to North Wales to stay at Presthaven near Prestatyn (booked on the recommendation of some online friends) until Monday. This seems to be a reasonable base from which to visit Llandudno and the Chester Zoo (not on the same day, obviously).

Then on Monday we'll drive to somewhere in Dorset to stay midweek (not booked), using that as a base for things like Stonehenge and Bovington, and possibly visiting Longleat on the way. Then on Friday we'll drive back to Heathrow, return the car, and fly out on Saturday morning. Critiques? Suggestions for fill-ins? Watford, Wales, and Bovington are absolutely critical, but at least some of the rest of it is flexible.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might like the massive hill fort outside Dorchester. Given how old it is the walk is exhausting.

I might also visit Salisbury cathedral. I believe its situation and approaches over the water meadows to the south are some of the greatest views in England. Plus the inside is good. Look out for the infinity baptism font (modern).
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
You might like the massive hill fort outside Dorchester. Given how old it is the walk is exhausting.

I might also visit Salisbury cathedral. I believe its situation and approaches over the water meadows to the south are some of the greatest views in England. Plus the inside is good. Look out for the infinity baptism font (modern).
We might indeed. That looks really neat. Avebury was also in consideration (probably in concert with Stonehenge). And while this may not be the very last time we do something like this, we are slowing down, and there's much to be said for doing these things while we are still up to significant walking.

Salisbury cathedral was kind of on the radar, but it's good to know it's well worth a visit.

Thanks!

Last edited by persimmondeb; Dec 13th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 05:28 AM

There is a cliff walk called the Jurassic trail. It goes from Lulworth Cove and heads west. Most people walk up above Man-o-War bay and Durdle Dor before turning back (about an hour each way). You can keep going to Wymouth but frankly it bores after a bit. On a sunny day it is wonderful. The start in Lulworth is from a giant carpark and you can get local Icecream and Lobster back there and, of course, the cove is fascinating if you've not seen one before. If wet I'd avoid as the chalk/mud can be slippy.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you visit Avebury, you might also want to stop at the West Kennett Long Barrow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Kennet_Long_Barrow It's a short walk across a farmer's fields from the small parking area.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I had thought DH might really like the Durdle Door, and had been kind of intrigued by the cove. I don't think we need to walk all the way to Weymouth. but partway sounds great. Lobster and ice cream always make us happy too.

The long barrow also looks really cool!

I had wondered about posting a separate thread for this, but will we likely be sorry if we stay at the Days Inn M-40 North? It appears to be located in the Welcome Break, and is both cheap and convenient. We are not expecting a luxury experience, but do require it to be clean and safe (which highway motels in the US sometimes aren't--particularly off I-95).
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 07:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by persimmondeb
. . . I had wondered about posting a separate thread for this, but will we likely be sorry if we stay at the Days Inn M-40 North? It appears to be located in the Welcome Break, and is both cheap and convenient. We are not expecting a luxury experience, but do require it to be clean and safe (which highway motels in the US sometimes aren't--particularly off I-95).
Convenient to what? Warwick? if so it is about 20 mins from the castle for instance so not bad. Me personally though, I wouldn't. But if you stay at say Super8's or Motel 6's etc on interstate exit ramps when on vacation in the States then it would be a similar set up -- petrol station, mini mart, cafe,
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Convenient to what? Warwick? if so it is about 20 mins from the castle for instance so not bad. Me personally though, I wouldn't. But if you stay at say Super8's or Motel 6's etc on interstate exit ramps when on vacation in the States then it would be a similar set up -- petrol station, mini mart, cafe,
Yes, to Warwick, particularly as a cheap "on the way there" alternative to paying for an additional night in their pricy but adorable lodges (we're definitely going for one, but I don't feel that we necessarily need to pay for two nights, particularly if we're arriving well into the evening on the likely first night). We usually stay just a little higher on the food chain than that, although we do sometimes patronize Day's Inns here (and certainly stay at hotels off exit ramps on major highways-but it's usually Fairfield, Hampton, etc,). We avoid Super 8s, and I used to be fairly comfortable with Motel 6's, but that's changed in the last 20 years or so. That said, some cheaper chain motels on the I-95 corridor seem very disreputable indeed, and we would not stay at them (poor repair, strange characters hanging around, etc., etc., coupled with the road's reputation as a drug/contraband corridor). I was kind of assuming it was not that kind of situation, but it always seems prudent to check.
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Meant to add - nothing 'unsafe' about it. But I still wouldn't - but that's me personally
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

We are booked for the Day's Inn. Also for the Warwick Castle lodge, which was ridiculously expensive, since their website would not let me book the smaller one for three adults. I had an email out to them, which they haven't answered yet, but it's clearly booking up, and I was worried about losing out altogether. I may switch if it becomes an option, but we'll probably enjoy the large one more anyway. At least it comes with tickets and parking and breakfast. We're sort of pretending it's historical Disney, since that's pretty much the only thing we ever spring for that costs that kind of money. It was more than the Sofitel. It was more than double what I spent for all three nights in Prestatyn, and that place has a lazy river.

However, we really wanted it, and it seemed idiotic to miss out on something that we probably won't get another chance at because I was balking at spending an extra hundred pounds or so (since we'd have to stay somewhere anyway).
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 12:01 PM

That's weird -- maybe your post #8 (explaining why you chose it) was in moderation jail or something (?? ) but I could swear it wasn't there when I posted "Meant to add - nothing 'unsafe' about it. But I still wouldn't - but that's me personally"

With your post in place mine doesn't make as much sense. No worries about the safety and if you don't mind packing/unpacking an additional time it would be fine.

(though I still probably wouldn't myself - but its not my money so . . . )
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

It was in moderation jail. My last one was for a little while too, I'm not sure why.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 05:40 AM

'since their website would not let me book the smaller one for three adults'
Not all hotel rooms take 3 adults; the room may have one double bed. You cannot share that with 3 adults. It's not like in the US where rooms often have 2 double beds.
That Days Inn is ON the motorway; not at an exit. Is there really nowhere else you can stay?
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 06:22 AM

Just a few points to add regarding the Bovington side of your trip.

I would visit Stonehenge on the way to Dorset - it will save back tracking.

About a mile from Bovington you have Clouds Hill. This was Lawrence of Arabia's final home. It is small - 4 rooms only. It is managed by the National Trust. Hopefully it will have reopened by the time you visit. However do check the National trust website as it could be a question of having to book timed tickets for a visit.

In Dorchester - 7 miles from Bovington - you will find an excellent military museum - The Keep Military museum.

Some tough decisions to make....
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 07:34 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Castle,_Dorset

Dorset has a fine "art trail fortnight" in the summer worth visiting workshops if you coincide.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Dec 20th, 2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
' . . . That Days Inn is ON the motorway; not at an exit. Is there really nowhere else you can stay?

Precisely. In the UK most motorway service areas including this one have a dedicated off ramp that goes nowhere else. It includes a car park, petrol station, a cafe/shop/toilets, and 'motel'. Just about the least 'charming' place one could stay.

Not sure about the order of the Warwick/Days Inn nights but do realize that staying there (at the northbound Welcome Break) you have to exit and get back on the Motorway northbound -- there is no access to the southbound lanes. Which is fine if you are hitting Warwick after the Days Inn since you would be heading north to Warwick but does not work if you are staying in Warwick first.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Warwick if you do want to change hotels. It is VERY convenient being less than 2 miles from the castle carpark.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

The small lodge has a double, twin bunks, and a truckle bed. DS will not fit on the truckle, but he's fine with the twin as long as they're normal sized, which they appear to be. I just gave up at a certain point though. I may switch if they'll let me, but the bigger one may actually be better for us.

We were a bit amused at its being on the motorway. I'm sure we could find somewhere else (and it's cancellable) but we're going to call it an adventure. That may end up being a slightly weird evening meal, but it appears that the Days Inn does have a café, and the convenience store at the Welcome Break is run by Waitrose, which is a brand we like.

It is on the way to Warwick. The current plan is to meander along from Watford (probably involving Waddesdon Manor), get on the M40 at some point, and stop for the evening there (it appears to be between exits 12 and 13 and we need 15 for the castle.

Last edited by persimmondeb; Dec 20th, 2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Megdorset
Just a few points to add regarding the Bovington side of your trip.

I would visit Stonehenge on the way to Dorset - it will save back tracking.

About a mile from Bovington you have Clouds Hill. This was Lawrence of Arabia's final home. It is small - 4 rooms only. It is managed by the National Trust. Hopefully it will have reopened by the time you visit. However do check the National trust website as it could be a question of having to book timed tickets for a visit.

In Dorchester - 7 miles from Bovington - you will find an excellent military museum - The Keep Military museum.

Some tough decisions to make....
We may do The Keep, depending on time. I don't know about Cloud's Hill. My father would have liked that, but I'm less sure it's us, and there's only so much time. I should check with DS, since he might be interested (DH won't be very).

I'd considered Stonehenge on the way from Wales, but I think it's less of a backtrack from Dorset than Longleat would be, and I'd like a full day for Stonehenge and environs, not having DH fussing about check-in times. I should put both of those destinations into Google maps and check routes/times before I make any kind of firm decision.

We are now booked for Dorset, and are staying at Rockley Park near Poole (also booked on the advice of some online friends).

Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Castle,_Dorset

Dorset has a fine "art trail fortnight" in the summer worth visiting workshops if you coincide.
That might be neat, depending on dates.
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 07:40 AM

Rockley Park (used to be called Rockley Sands in my day). Well the views are nice. The quay can be pleasant with locally brewed beers in the pubs and plenty of fish and chips. Saturday night can be a bit aggressive on the high street and the main street parallel to the quay but you should be fine.

Are you into speedway?
https://www.poole-speedway.com/news
Are you there on pirates day, or beating the bounds?
https://www.piratesofpoole.co.uk/
https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/do...miralty-court/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -