We have 7 to 10 days in Venice--possible daytrips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have already rented an apartment in Venice (Castello) for a week in the middle of May, but we could possibly add on another 3 days. We like Venice and have visited once before for 5 nights in the dead of winter, so we didn't get to see the islands and plan to do that this time.

Now I am wondering if it would make sense to add a few extra days to Venice and use it as a base for daytrips. I've thought of Padua, Vincenza, or maybe Verona (but I've heard it is quite touristy which is not my cup of tea). Ravenna and Bologna also sound really good, but those I know deserve more time than just as daytrips.

What do you think? Would it be better to actually overnight in some of these places rather than trying to see them from Venice? Do you have any other suggestions for places for daytrips? Moving from place to place can be such a hassle; that is why I am wondering about adding on some days and using Venice as a base. Or, is taking daytrips from Venice an equal hassle?

Thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Is Venice the entire trip - or are you going on to other cities. I think that would affect if you want to do daytrips or possibly stop on the way to your next destination.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM

So where are you coming from, and why are you limiting yourself to NE Italy?
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On one of our trips to Venice we rented an apt for two weeks. Day trips we enjoyed were: Padua with the Scrovegni Chapel, the Brenta Canal boat ride from Venice to see the Palladian and other mansions, Bassano del Grappa with it's history, Palladian bridge and beautiful Alpine setting. We enjoyed the Veneto so much that we returned there a few yeas ago to explore more.
Of course within Venice, we visited Murano, Burano and Torcello. Also went out to the Lido.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

We are from the US and have three weeks total flying in and out of Milan. We prefer slow travel and have done lots of Europe before (in slow travel mode) but never northern Italy. We are not into whirlwind sightseeing and will save other more southerly parts of Italy for future trips. We are planning on some time in the Lakes also and would consider Switzerland too possibly.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keith and I also took the train to Padova to view the Scrovegni Chapel.

Padova is cute, with lots of trendy shops and cafes.

Everyone was nice to us in Padova.

Thin
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Feel like a broken record, I've mentioned it so much, but Vicenza is beautiful, easy day trip, but worth a couple of days, and nice in the evening.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM

I would second Padova and the Scrovegni Chapel; but make sure you make a resevation for the chapel.
We also did a 1/2 day boat trip on the Brenta Canal, saw a few Palladian villas that way.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Padova and the Scrovegni chapel are well worth the trip - I recommend you stay in the evening and do the "double turn" ticket which allows you twice as much time in the Scrovegni Chapel. Ravenna is a worthy destination too - definitely stay overnight if you go there. If your lodgings in Venice are reasonable (I think they are from your other thread) you can get a hotel room in Ravenna and take only your toothbrush. Another town to consider is Bassano del Grappa.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Great to hear about Padova, and I think we'll definitely do this as a day trip. The Brenta Canal also sounds good, and I am going to look further into something I had read about renting bikes and biking along it.

Yes, we do have a reasonable priced apartment in Venice so I could just vacate it one night for an overnight in Ravenna (something I'd never thought of), a place I visited forty years ago and loved; that's why I know it deserves more than just a day trip.

We are not the type of people who have itineraries planned to the hour and much prefer to have possibilities so we can choose from a variety of options depending on what we feel like doing that day. Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Bassano del Grappa, Padua and Vicenza are good day trps. Maybe Chioggia, certainly Burano /Torcello.

I've written a bit about Padua etc.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...over-again.cfm
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM

When I spent a week in Venice I needed to get away from the bustle of the city and on a number of occasions I took ferries to the outer islands of the archipelago and found it quite pleasant and refreshing allowing a connection to nature and the sea lacking among the crowds.
Also, you may likely be aware of this but there is a pretty good Icon Museum associated with the Greek Orthodox Church in Venice.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
bookmarking
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM

TT
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:58 PM

We've been to la Certosa twice, once for the kayak tour, and then a couple of weekls later for a picnic. There was a monastery there, closed down (thanks, Napoleon!), subsequently fortified a little and a gunpowder factory established there. A 15 minute ride from Fond. Nuovo, and you are in a different world. There's a small hotel there, boat yards, a sailing school, some large grassed areas, and signs telling you not to light fires or enter some areas - the area was used as a firing range, and there is unexploded ordinance. We walked right around the island, past abandoned buildings, and ventured into many of them, two story buildings, the stairs collapsed, the cellars flooded. It's a strange feeling - once the island would have been a hive of activity, bugles, soldiers parading, polished silver in the officer's mess. And now all so quiet, except for a herd of about fifty goats that we came across, and several rabbits.

I've written a trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...over-again.cfm
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:18 PM

Was this trip May of this year? I thought so...
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are visiting Vincenza this July.

We want to see Villa Rotonda on a Wednesday.

I don't think too many Fodorites have visited V. Rotunda.

Thin