PARIS

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PARIS

Sorry to post on here again but, there is very limited availability of hotels in the 6th arrondissement and the ones I like are around $350 ish range and is that a fair price for a 4 star?, I would like to know if 7th and 8th arrondissements are quite central? I can start exploring there I would like to spend $300/night and stay in preferably a 4 star hotel as I know 5 star would be a little out of my budget We are going to be there for 7 nights the first week of December.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Not sure what you are looking for, but I found this hotel to be absolute perfection! I was there in December, but for Christmas.

https://hotelabbayeparis.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:00 PM

>>> stay in preferably a 4 star hotel

Are you familiar with the star rating system in France or are you assuming it is similar to wherever you are coming from?

If you look up differences between these stars, for example at, https://europeupclose.com/article/fr...-rating-system you find it is a facilities rating. If this is what you are looking for, then rely on the star rating. Otherwise, look up exactly what they offer at various hotel sites, and read the ratings at sites such as www.booking.com to find out items outside the star rating system. I have stayed in many boutique hotels in 2 to 4 star ratings. The 2 star hotels I have stayed seemed to often get dinged for not having an elevator, irrelevant issue for us, or not having desk open between midnight - 5am, again not an issue for me. I don't use swimming pool, spa, or a fitness room needed to gain the 4-star rating when I walk easily more than 10 miles a day visiting places rather than staying literally on a treadmill.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Anything in the Arrondissements 1, 3, 4, most of 5, 6 are pretty central, IMO. To me, the 7th is a little more out there.

We enjoyed the Hotel Brighton in the 1st, on the Tuileries. I'm sure others will have recommendations as well.

Have fun!
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
test -- the site won't let me post . . .
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:19 PM

OK that worked so I'll try again:

4 star and 5 star do not tell you how nice a hotel is. Only the amenities offered per a specific list.

There are 2 star places that are as nice or nicer than some 4 star -- but no restaurant on site or staffed front desk over night.

>> I would like to know if 7th and 8th arrondissements are quite central?
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM

There is no reason to apologize. You can post here as often as you like, with as many questions as you may have.

About the 7th: I especially like the part of the 7th to the east of Invalides.

I've not stayed in a luxury hotel in Paris, but $350 USD doesn't seem like an unfair price for an upscale/fancy hotel. I just checked the K&K Cayre (nice but maybe not as nice as you're looking for) for the beginning of December, and it's running around $200 USD per night.

The Westin Vendome (where friends stayed recently and loved) is around $320 USD and upscale. It's the Right Bank, but Place Vendome is about as central as one can get in Paris.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:14 PM

I have stayed in the 7th and enjoyed it. It is a big quieter than the 6th but there are some excellent restaurants and nice hotels.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you really want to stay in the center, I would look for a hotel in the 1st or 2nd arrondissement. If you want to save a bit of money, though, you should look farther out in the higher numbered arrondissements. Paris is very compact and the transportation is excellent -- in any case, you can't walk to everything you would like to see no matter what anybody claims.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:40 PM

>>in any case, you can't walk to everything you would like to see no matter what anybody claims.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:13 PM

4 stars are imho often a bad quality price ratio. As explained above 4 stars compared to 3 stars have just more amenities : more room for the breakfast more room in the hall stuff like that.

I usually pay 120 euros a night fir good 3 stars.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:40 PM

Search ´woinparis' ´hotel' in the search field. You'll find several threads on hotels in Paris.
The guy is great. And his recs are spot on.
One of the best posters for paris. No, the best one.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 08:59 PM

On a short/first trip one can walk to an awful lot of places that are on the short list of biggies.

I would hardly claim that the Pompidou or the Panthéon are on the short list of biggies for first time travelers. However, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysées and Montmartre often are. People staying in the 6th don't often walk to all of them.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 09:46 PM

if one is in the 6th and can't walk to the Eiffel Tower -- they may have problems . . .
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 09:49 PM

And -- of course there will be places one cannot walk. But between the walkable sites stretches out on both sides of the Seine and in the 1st/5th/6th, many people only need one or two metro or bus rides most days.
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 10:25 PM

>> Search ´woinparis' ´hotel' in the search field ( *of fodors). You'll find several threads on hotels in Paris. The guy is great. And his recs are spot on.

You may follow this recommendation. The person has probably seen more hotels in Paris than anybody else here has. Anywhere near a metro station is a good location for me, Paris has an excellent public transport system.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Weather in December is quite variable -- it could be almost mild or it could be terrible. No way to know more than about 4 days ahead of time. In the second case, there are not many places to which you will probably want to walk if they are more the 500 meters away.

In my own opinion, winter is absolutely the worst time to want to stay near the Seine, because it is the coldest and dampest part of the city at that time. Living in the 18th and going to work in the 8th, I was often horrified at how much colder it was when I arrived near Alma-Marceau.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 09:23 AM

I would stay in the 4th or 6th arrondissements, if you are willing to spend that much money.
There are very nice hotels hidden away that are 3 or 4 star hotels in the Marais and the Latin Quarter.

For a first-time vistor to Paris, I would not recommend staying in the double-digit arrondissements. You will find what you're looking for in the single digit arrondissements.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Except maybe an acceptable rate.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Search ´woinparis' ´hotel' in the search field. You'll find several threads on hotels in Paris.
The guy is great. And his recs are spot on.
One of the best posters for paris. No, the best one.>

No Whathello you are the best poster for Paris (after pariswat and kerouac)!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -