Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We are going to Europe and have a question about US credit cards

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have heard that credit cards issued by US banks may not work in some places in Europe. We are going to Prague, then a river cruise and end up for a few days in Budapest. Also wonder about ATM card. Anyone have an opinion?
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ATM cards work everywhere

Credit cards works almost eveywhere.

There are some automated machines where you might have problems, but generally you will be fine.

Be sure to contact your bank and credit card companies of the dates you will be overseas.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:45 PM

Mastercard seems to be the referred card. American Express was sometimes turned down.
Be sure to have a PIN for the card - this was especially needed at remote self-serve gas stations in Iceland.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:45 PM

In our experience, including in Prague and Budapest, our U.S. credit cards were accepted just about everywhere credit cards are accepted, except in automated machines such as toll booths, ticket machines, etc., and in small shops. In other words, most hotels, restaurants, museums, shops accept our credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and in some places American Express, but not Discover). The term ATM isn't used in Europe. It may be "cash point" or "bankomat" or something similar, but they work the same -- just a different name. They accept Visa, MC, often American Express, along with European cards. They are found at banks, airports, train stations, and some hotels. We prefer to get our cash during business hours at a machine connected to a bank so that in the rare case that something goes amiss, we could go into the bank and try to get it straightened out. I want to add that this has never happened to us in the many trips we've made to Europe. We never get European money in the U.S. before a trip because of the poor exchange rate. It's easy to stop at a machine when you land at your airport, and the exchange rate is much better. And don't bother with travelers checks as many places don't accept them, including banks. Credit cards, along with a Visa or MC connected debit card, are the way to go.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:46 PM

sorry - meant "preferred" card...
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:52 PM

In the parts of Europe where we have driven, credit cards from the US won't work in the automated gasoline pumps. A PIN from the US card doesn't work -- the pumps require a European "chip and pin" card which is not available in the U.
S. If the station is attended, they will (almost always) accept a credit card from the U.S.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:05 PM

"Be sure to have a PIN for the card - this was especially needed at remote self-serve gas stations in Iceland."

US credit card PINs won't help in European self serve machines. That is for Chip&PIN cards which 99.9% of Americans don't have. Now, if one was to use a cc for a cash advance from an ATM - yes you'd need a PIN. But that's a horrible idea unless it is an emergency.

To use an ATM/Debit card to get cash - yes you need a PIN.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM

Be sure to have a four digit PIN, that is what is accepted in Europe. Be sure to have a phone number for the credit card company if there is a problem.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM

It seems to me most any place that takes CCs in Europe, takes both Visa and MC, at least in recent years. Many years ago it seemed to me that Visa was the preferred card, not Mastercard. Anyway, shouldn't have any problem with either one. I never have and I've been to Prague 3 times, although not in the last year, that's true.

It really wouldn't work for all kinds of foreigners (from N America, S America, Asia, etc) to be roaming around Europe with their CCs not working.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:36 PM

...for the time being, there isn't a big problem with antiquated US credit cards except as noted at unmanned or unwomanned gasoline pumps, kiosks in train stations, taking a bike from the rental racks all over Paris and other places.

But be aware and keep your eye out. It many not be imminent but there is a movement small though it may be to allow merchants to refuse to take the a nqiquated US magnetic strip cards in the future. And then we'll see if the American banks are willing to join the 21st century or want to continuje living in the 1970's.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM

"Be sure to have a phone number for the credit card company if there is a problem."

Not the 800 number that is likely on the back of your cc. 800#s don't work -- it will likely be a # designated for collect calls from overseas. It is either on the back of your card or in fine print term/conditions - or you may have to phone customer service to get it.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:47 PM

Actually 800 numbers for the most part do work if they are dialed properly 001 8xx xxx xxxx or from a mobile phone+1 8xx xxxx but what will happen is you will hear a voice telling you the number you are dialing is not toll free if dialed from outside the United States. If answered, you will be charged at international calling rates. If you do not wish to be charged, hang up now......some phones in France might tell you the call can't be completed than give you different dialing instructions.....but janisj is right. Most international credit cards have a local USA number listed and you are told to call that number collect to report a lost or stolen card......

The other point is that it's conventional wisdom to call yor bank before leaving to tell them you will be travelling to and they may ask you to give them the date and ask what countries you will be travelling to. WhileI'm not saying not to do it, they tell you thhank you for letting us know but we won't guarantee the computers will not note some out of pattern charges and de-activte your card or call you or send you e=mail. I don't even bother anymore and haven't had any trouble but I would never criticize anybody for not doing it.

As far as the pin is concerned, they don't do you any good if the card does not have a chip.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:48 PM

We have never had a problem with an ATM card or a Visa credit card. We don't carry an American Express but I have heard others say they are not always taken.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 06:31 PM

Whatever card you use, know that most charge a foreign transaction fee of about 3%. We just got burned with that when buying our European train tickets. I know Capital One doesn't charge it and our Marriot Rewards VISA card doesn't either.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 08:29 PM

True...but even if you use a card with that near crminal charge; however even with that charge you do better than if you pay with cash unless you get the cash from an ATM with an ATM card or a debit card and you use a bank that doesn't add a fee or a similar charge. So the moral of the story is you should be aware of all the various charges and rip offs practiced when using credit or debit cards for foreign transactions.

And just to make your blood boil further, there are some banks that charge you a 3% fee even if the transaction is done in your home currency (assuming the poster is from the USA that would be US dollars) and you might be shocked when, for example, you buy Aer Lingus tickets on travelocity or orbitz in a gtransaction you do on your computer at home in Peroia, since Aer Lingus does all its credit card transactions at an Irish bank (no surprise there I suppose), you get nailed with the charge by some of the near criminal banks that pull this garbage!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 03:21 AM

www.capitalone.com VISA CC my fav taken most widely no foreign

fees ATM local money at big bank ATMs only careful lots of

"skimming"

lots of debit card risk do not use those 100% liability

with credit card 0% liability can dispute/reverse ANY charge.

Got my identity stolen in Colombia a few years ago $150k

put on the credit card by skimmers CC company had to eat it

all... if I had that happen with my debit card I would have

been liable... so be careful out there.

Also do not use money changers will clip you up to 35%

www.coinmill.com for correct daily exchange which by law

you must get with credit card...

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 03:24 AM

Forgot also get double FF miles everywhere build up free
flights quickly with my Cap 1 Venture Card yet another benefit.

Almost 100000 miles in the last few months due to specials...
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just a quick comment, the currency in the czech republic is not the euro. the currency in Hungary is not the euro. Neither currency is the same. Hence you don't want too much cash of these currencies as you then need to convert and lose on commission.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM

I would not neglect to call my banks and CC companies! I have known several people (including some I have had to lend money to) when their cards wouldn't work. Of course a phone call can fix this after the fact but what a pain!

My brother once left Canada driving to Florida. He stopped for gas in PA and his card was rejected. He phoned and sure enough as the card had never been used in the US before it was frozen.

My Canada Trust branch can enter my travel info right on the terminal at any teller. My BoA account requires a phone call to the fraud dept. But they do keep track of these things. Last time I phoned the lady said "Oh... lucky you! Your third trip to France in 3 years!" So they do know what's going on.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 07:37 AM

Be sure your magentic strip on the back of your card is in pristine condition - I have had some that were worn and would work at home but in europe did at times and did not work in other ATMs and I not only call my bank to tell them which countries I will be visiting but I explicity tell them that I will be visitng no other countries - at times in Italy in years past at least somehow miscreants were reading card numbers and PINS surreptitiously and later charges from Romanian banks were coming in. Tell them emphatically no charges from any other countries please.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -