Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Waverley to Aberdour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/waverley-to-aberdour-299779/)

Ani Mar 21st, 2003 08:09 PM

Waverley to Aberdour

OK Janis-this should be it! I need to know how to grab our car hire, and head to Aberdour from Waverley. Thank you! Wow-5 days!

Ani Mar 21st, 2003 08:10 PM

Ok-let me re-iterate. I don't need to know anything about getting our car-just the route to Aberdour...;)

janis Mar 21st, 2003 09:44 PM

Wow - it is getting close :-D<BR><BR>As for how to get out of town and to Aberdour - Well first of all I would not have picked up my car at Waverly. I would rent it at the airport and take the shuttle bus there. Bur what's done is done (UNLESS you can change your pick up location)<BR><BR>What you need is the A90 Forth Bridge Road and the right on the north end of the bridge the A921 to Aberdour. This will all be clearly sign posted. But because of traffic congestion in Edinburgh, new construction, one-way roads etc -- the actual best route from Waverly could vary.<BR><BR>Just ask the rental agency staff the best route to the A90 - they may tell you a detour or &quot;best&quot; way to avoid current traffic conditions through central Edinburgh.<BR>

janis Mar 21st, 2003 09:48 PM

ps: Pick up your road atlas in any Edinburgh news agent or book store and ask the agency staff (or your hotel desk) to mark the route from Waverly to the A90 right on the map. Be sure to get an atlas that has city center maps - most do. One published by the AA is probably your best choice.

Ani Mar 22nd, 2003 07:31 AM

Thank you JAnis...I actually have what is supposed to be an ecxellent Road map-everything is highlighted as directed earlier! I will ask the car people to do just what you suggested, and there definately is a city center map. <BR>I chose to get the car at Waverly b/c it is so very close to the 2 b&amp;b's we are staying at-like 1.5 miles. Oh well! Thanks again!

sheila Mar 22nd, 2003 08:01 AM

When you come out of the station turn right and when you reach the T-junction with Princes Street, turn left. Go straight along Princes Street to the end, then following signs for the airport go straight on again. When you approach Haymarket, there's a funny kink in the road system that makes you drive round a block of buildings (left, then right, then right then straighT(ish) ahead again. Keep following the signs for the airport. Stay on this main road all the way through Corstorphine (c 4 miles?) then the first roundabout you come to, turn right up Drum Brae- there's abank on one corner and a PC World on the other. Go straight over Drum Brae (up one side and down the other-maybe 1 1/2 miles) then turn left at the T-junction with Queensferry Road. Pick up the road signs for the Forth Road Bridge. You come about 200 yards along to the interesting Cramond Junction. You are goings traight ahead in a slightly to the right fashion (signs for the bridge) From there keep going the 6 or so miles to the Bridge-toll 80p. On te other side, come off at junction 1. It will be signposted to Aberdour. The road you are looking for is the A 921, and Aberdour is about 4 miles along. Without traffic, 45 minutes- with, an hour

Ani Mar 22nd, 2003 08:04 AM

Wow-thanks Sheila! Hopefully its not as complicated as it sounds! Appreciate all fo the info from both of you.

Barbara Mar 22nd, 2003 08:47 AM

Well, I wouldn't go out to Corstorphine. You can also, after turning left on to Princes Street, take the first right, S. St. David's Street. Stay in the middle lane until you pass George Street, then move into the left lane and turn left on to Queen Street. Go straight along Queen Street, following the traffic flow to Randolph Crescent. At the stop light,turn right on to Queesferry Street. Stay with the main traffic flow, you will cross over the Dean Bridge. Now you just follow this road, Queensferry Road, all the way to the bridge. The Forth Road Bridge is signposted at main junctions along this road. Enjoy yourselves!

janis Mar 22nd, 2003 11:28 AM

Ani - I have drive out of Edinburgh many times and have been over both routes Sheila and Barbara suggest. My main point was that special circumstances (like road works, a special event, etc.) could make either one of them difficult - or easy as pie. Simply ask the car hire staff which way to go at the time.<BR><BR>As long as you keep a look out for Queensferry and Forth Bridge Road signs you will not have any trouble.

janis Mar 22nd, 2003 11:31 AM

(But the above suggestions do illustrate why I usually advise picking up a rental car at the airport)

sheila Mar 22nd, 2003 11:43 AM

I was there today, and the route I suggest was clear. Either works well; I wouldn't actually choose the one I did for myself, but it involves fewer junctions.<BR><BR>Have a great time