Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Left or right exit doors from the Vatican ?

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear about the left and right exit doors from the Vatican, could someone tell me about them, and which should I take ?
It seems like a well known secret.
Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect you are asking about the exit from the Sistine Chapel that allows direct entry to St. Peters without going through another security line. If that is the case, just follow the tour groups, who will use the right door.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM

I have taken both at the Sistine Chapel. With respect to the door you entered from the Vatican Museum side, the left door on the other side is for everyone not on guided tour that includes St. Peters. The right door is for guided tours that leads into St. Peters through inner court without having to go through additional security check and a long walk around the Vatican Museum. The default route goes down several flights of stairs down to the St. Peters floor level.

Many people reported being able to use the right door pretending to be part of some random tours. If you legitimately or illegitimately use the right door, you better have no bag left at the Vatican museum entrance. The right door is a point of no return back to the Vatican Museum. The left door forces you to go back to the Vatican museum entrance. Don't get fumed if the guard "cared" to stop you from using the right door.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 12:59 PM

I've always used the right-hand door, not pretending to be a member of a tour group at all. I've just walked through it, even by myself. If a guard ever questioned me, I'd tell him the truth, and, if instructed, go through the other door. Whenever I've been there, the guards haven't shown any interest in who was passing through that door. That's not to say people don't get stopped, especially when the tour guides complain, but I think it's worth a try if you're going to St. Peter's. Other than claiming bags or coats, you also can't use this exit if you've rented an audio guide, which has to be returned at the entrance, where you picked it up.

With the excessive waits for security checks at St. Peter's Basilica, you'd think they'd encourage people to walk through that door. It would cut down about 40% of the crowd waiting for security in St. Peter's Basilica.

The door is no secret at all, but people like Rick Steves want you to think they're letting you in on a big secret, like the off-the-beaten-track little coastal villages in the Cinque Terre.