Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Waterville area on Ring of Kerry as a base??

May 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi to you all, We are flying into Shannon on the 27th and plan to spend our time in the southwest of Ireland and then fly out of Shannon on the 31st of May.

I have found a great rate at "Brookhaven Country Home" in Waterville -Co. Kerry on the Ring of Kerry. Is this a good town to use a home base for a few nights to tour the surrounding area? We will have a rental car.

If Waterville is not central to the surrounding sites what town would you recommend as a base or should we spend only 1 night and keep moving? We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids, that are great travelers).
May 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Killarney is really the best centrally located town for the southwest of Ireland. Next would be cute little Kenmare. Waterville is all the way out on the tip of the Ring of Kerry. If you want to spend your few days out there, it will be a fine base. But if you want to see anything else you will have a very long drive to get off the peninsula. It just depends on what you want to do and see.
May 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Irish Eyes, I did not realize how far around the Ring of Kerry was until I read up on my Ireland travel book. I am going to search for a better location to base ourselves in either Killarney or kenmare.

Any suggestions on places to stay that will accomodate a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids)?
May 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I agree -- Waterville quite out of the way and driving ROK is no picnic as a routine to go sightseeing.

We preferred the Killarney base and stayed in the Priory in the Muckross estate area just outside the town of Killarney. We were two adults and two teenaged sons and it worked well.
May 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM

There are a lot of fine accommodations to stay in both places. In Killarney I have stayed at Killarney Lodge & Earl's Court, both of them are close in. Farther out is Friar's Glen. All are excellent.

In Kenmare you can't go wrong at The Lodge or Lansdowne Arms Hotel.