Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Water in Greece?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/water-in-greece-191555/)

Doug Apr 3rd, 2002 10:01 PM

Water in Greece??

Is the water something to worry about in Greece?

Elaine Apr 3rd, 2002 10:29 PM

No. If the tap water isn't good enough to drink, you can always buy bottles very cheaply.

Water Apr 4th, 2002 02:32 AM

I drink bottled water (cheap) in mainland and some of the islands, because I don´t like the taste of tap water. But for example on Crete I always drink tap water.

sorrytobearsey Apr 4th, 2002 03:17 AM

it's not a third world country you know.

kate Apr 4th, 2002 08:24 AM

Although Greek water is safe, many people find that a change of water can upset their system, so it's worth using bottled water for the peace of mind.

April Apr 4th, 2002 08:59 AM

It may not be a third world country but just try getting toast! We may not have needed to, but we used bottled water. Water bottles probably mark the tourist in Greece more than a camera around the neck.

mpprh Apr 4th, 2002 09:34 AM

Hi<BR><BR>Good water is important in Greece.<BR>You won't find bad water.<BR>On some of the Islands, it may not taste too good, but it will not harm you.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Marion Apr 13th, 2002 11:45 PM

I have lived in Nafplion for a few months and the water is no problem to drink from the tap. I understand it is filtered. Smaller towns - a bit iffy maybe, but many have mountain spring water. Ask.

Carolina Apr 19th, 2002 04:42 AM

Lots of loacals drink bottled water and lots drink tap. It's a matter of preference really although I agree that it is worth sticking to bottled if you are prone to stomach upsets. <BR>Carolina

Steve Apr 21st, 2002 06:33 AM

The tap water in W3estern Crete is better than we have at home in the UK.<BR>

Dee Apr 28th, 2002 09:44 AM

By the way, bottled water DOES NOT equal tourist!!<BR><BR>My friend walks around with a bottle of water all the time, especially when we're on the islands, walking around all day.<BR><BR>Don't be so paranoid...and if you want toast, say home!

April Apr 28th, 2002 11:38 AM

Good grief Dee, you're actually getting all worked up about a comment about toast? <BR><BR>By the way, want to make a fortune? Take a truckload of toasters to Greece. :-)

Dee Apr 28th, 2002 05:44 PM

April,<BR><BR>you're right, I know. It's just that, there's so many wonderful things about Greece,I think lack of toast is the last thing anyone should notice :)<BR><BR>maybe I will start a "toaster-export" business!!!<BR><BR>d.

sorrytobearsey Apr 30th, 2002 07:43 AM

i too get irked when foreigners abroad insist on sticking to exactly the same food they eat when at home. ain't it half the fun of being away?! greek breakfast - yoghurt, fresh fruit and honey. fresh bread with oil drizzled on. strong greek coffee. tiropita, spanikopita - bloody gorgeous!!

RobynFrance Apr 13th, 2005 05:55 PM

How is the coffee in Greece? Is breakfast coffee served with milk in the cafe au lait fashion? How about tea? Is that offered routinely in cafes? One more beverage wine--what variety does the Greek white most resemble? Is it similar to a Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc? Or is it sweeter--Can you recommend some inexpensive dry wines to look for?

Many thanks,
Robyn France

jbrramsey Apr 14th, 2005 04:31 AM

Water in Greece depends totally on where you are. Of the islands that I know, Lesvos has artesian water, the best I have ever tasted. Halki, Simi and Tilos have little or no water of their own so it all comes in by tanker. O.K. for tea and coffee, but you are reccommended to use bottled for drinking. I would always seek local knowledge.

John

ira Apr 14th, 2005 05:26 AM

Hi Robyn,

&gt;One more beverage wine--..&lt;

Retsina is the famous Greek wine. It is an acquired taste, but goes well with Greek food.

((I))

RobynFrance Apr 14th, 2005 05:53 PM

Hi Ira--thanks for the response. I keep reading Retsina is unusual, etc.--but is it dry, bitter, sweet--can u provide a bit more--suppose I should go out and buy a bottle but is there a house type wine which u recommend? One perhaps which will appeal without &quot;the acquired taste&quot;--Thanks as always.

Robyn France

SandyMerm Apr 14th, 2005 06:44 PM

Retsina has a distinct taste of pine. Nothing I can compare it to in the states. It is an aquires taste, most people either really like it or hate it, but on a hot day, sitting outside a cafe, sipping retsina is a treat.

cristine27 Apr 14th, 2005 11:30 PM

The water in Greece is just fine! I always drink tap water and i've never had a problem. All the people i know drink tap water.
Water in Greece is VERY cheap because we drink it A LOT, so you won't have any problem with bottled if you prefer it. (It was a shock for me the price of water in London or Paris).

For RobynFrance: Retsina is a very particular kind of wine and many greeks don't like it.
(Usually you can find it in tavernas).
Greece produces many kinds of wines, some of which are top quality.

Now about coffee... well coffee is a &quot;religion&quot; in Greece. We all drink coffees and every kind of it.. Filtered, cappucino, espresso, frapes, greek coffee... Greeks always say :&quot;let's go for a coffee&quot; and they gather with friends and chat for 2 hours. It's not a 'quick' thing as in Italy for example.
(Of course you'll be able to find tea everywhere also but not so many people drink tea)