Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Water for Flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/water-for-flight-656736/)

mjdog Nov 3rd, 2006 02:18 PM

Water for Flight

I just want to make sure I understand the rules for drinking water for international flights , I was under the impression you can purchase water once your past the security check , the 3-1-1 campaign with the TSA doesn't appear to address this. Can I purchase as much water as I want ? or is it supposed to be 3 ounces which is hardly worth buying
Thanks
MJ

J62 Nov 3rd, 2006 02:20 PM

You can buy bottled water after security - normal 0.5 liter bottles at the news stands, etc for a couple of bucks a bottle.

francophile03 Nov 3rd, 2006 02:25 PM

Yes. You may purchase as many bottles of water as you want after you pass the security checkpoint.

suze Nov 3rd, 2006 02:34 PM

but can you take it on the plane?

francophile03 Nov 3rd, 2006 02:39 PM

Yes! Once you clear security you are free to bring on the plane any liquids you buy in the airport shops.

mjdog Nov 3rd, 2006 02:44 PM

Ok, thanks for the quick responses, I knew I could trust you guys
MJ

Jed Nov 4th, 2006 05:19 AM

You can also bring an empty plastic water bottle past security and fill it with fountain water. That is what we did with an 8 oz bottle, since we like to carry a small bottle rather than the larger one which is commonly sold at the airport. ((*))

nini Nov 4th, 2006 06:26 AM

We recently flew back from London on BA. We were told that any water purchased in one of the shops at LGW could be brought on the plane only if it was not opened. Employees at the shops reminded people to keep their receipts for water and any liquids. Just my experience and this may not be true everywhere. Security was very tight.

Jed Nov 4th, 2006 06:42 AM

I imagine the security must be tight in London, but did you see the security people actually examining any bottle? Anyone?

nini Nov 4th, 2006 10:42 AM

The screening devices now detect any and all liquids. Those are definite no-no's--there was so much stuff confiscated. They definitely will check the water bottles. Security was not as tight here (Atl HJ)--you just put those small amounts of liquids into a plastic ziploc and that was acceptable. Leaving LGW was another story. Upon unpacking on the trip going over I found a note from TSA that my bag had been inspected--the suspicious items were two apples.

aldodds Nov 4th, 2006 11:03 AM

In Paris 3 days ago we were NOT allowed to bring liquids on board the aircraft even though we had bought them in the secure area of the airport. They did pat-down searches and carry-on bag searches on the jetway and confiscated all liquids that they found.

Girlspytravel Nov 4th, 2006 11:51 AM

Nini-careful there-

"The screening devices now detect any and all liquids"

Not a true statement at all.

As you can see, the liquids past the security checkpoint is NOT uniform-YET. Go to www.tsa.gov for the 311 explanation of liquids (this is not new, but merely an explanation of the liquids/carry-on rules for flights outbound from the US)

-If you are flying out of an EU airport, however, their rules have been recently standardized,(to conform with the US) and go into effect ON NOVEMBER 6TH-MONDAY. The rules will take 6 months to be fully in force, in order to give industry time to adjust. April 17th is the date that the new carry-on baggage size restrictions go into effect for the EU.

Flying out of an EU airport you will:

be able to bring drinks purchased past the security checkpoint onto the plane. You will be able to buy other liquids in duty-free shops to carry onboard.

In your carry-on bag at the EU checkpoint: You must carry no more than 100 ml (a fifth of a pint) of liquids of each container of liquid, in a large plastic bag containing all liquids through the checkpoint and for inspection

You will remove coats and jackets, laptops and other large electrical items from bags

You can carry larger amounts of liquids in checked bags

RufusTFirefly Nov 4th, 2006 07:34 PM

The airplanes have water. You don't have to take your own.

francophile03 Nov 4th, 2006 08:59 PM

It's not just that people want to have a water supply on the plane. It's simply that they get thirsty between clearing security and boarding their flight.

adeben Nov 4th, 2006 09:37 PM

I'm with Rufus: Most of the posts seem to refer to taking water ONTO the plane. I repeat his question: Why would you want to do that? On every international flight I have been on, there has been plenty of water, and it has been available at all times.

Giovanna Nov 4th, 2006 10:03 PM

Yes, but in tiny little plastic glasses. When I'm thirsty I want to drink my fill and thus want my bottle of water with me. We brought empty bottles on board on a recent US flight, expecting them to be refilled with bottle water on board, but the flight attendant told us we could only have tap water. Not a chance!! She said, "Your coffee was made with it." We countered, "yes, but it was boiled."

Why not buy water after security and have it on board if that's what you prefer? Flying is difficult enough now--whatever creature comforts that are permitted/available, I want to take advantage of.

Nikki Nov 5th, 2006 01:02 AM

Why bring water aboard? Because when my throat gets dry and irritated and I start coughing I want to take a sip right then. Because I don't want to ring for the flight attendant every time I get thirsty. Because the flight is uncomfortable enough and I want to make it as comfortable as possible without bothering anyone else. Because I probably drink more water than those who have to ask why I want to bring water on the plane.

SuzieC Nov 5th, 2006 02:20 AM

left CDG on 10/17. We were not allowed to take our two tiny bottles on the plane.

Allivian Nov 5th, 2006 04:36 AM

Nikki, I totally understand your point. I feel the same about having water readily available. I returned from a 20 day trip a couple of days ago (3 connecting flights, one was an 11 hour flight)and the water bottle situation is different at different airports. The best thing to do is take an empty bottle with you and fill it up with the water that the flight attendants give you. Delta, United, and Lufthansa did not have small bottles of water to give out. Instead of asking to have my bottle filled, I just asked for a glass of water and filled my bottle. I didn't want to go through the hassle of being told they can't fill my bottle because of some regulation!
In one airport, after going through the security checkpoint, I went to the snack bar to buy a bottle of water and all they had was water in paper cups. I was upset with myself for not saving my empty bottle! In my next travels, I am taking a plastic bottle with a WIDE mouth...try filling a bottle from a water cup while going through turbulance.

jdraper Nov 5th, 2006 05:05 AM

When flying out of Munich less than two weeks ago the water I bought after I went through security was confiscated prior to boarding the plane. No problem taking water on the plane that I bought after going through security in the US but in Munich they would not allow it. It appears the rules are much more strict on flights coming back into the US than leaving the US.