Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Watching US Election Returns in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/watching-us-election-returns-in-florence-433132/)

colonna Sep 13th, 2008 01:59 PM

Watching US Election Returns in Florence

I will be in Florence all of November, and would like very much to find a place (a bar? an American club? I don't know) to watch the Presidential election returns. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

LoveItaly Sep 13th, 2008 02:02 PM

Will your hotel room have a TV colonna? It probably will and no doubt one of the stations such as CNN International will cover the elections results. Have a beautiful time in Florence.

Alec Sep 13th, 2008 03:23 PM

Your main problem is the US Presidential Election results will be appearing overnight in Europe and into early morning, when even bars will be closed.
Your best net is to watch it on TV in your hotel room (CNN, Fox News, Sky News - UK and BBC News are quite commonly available).
Republicans and Democrats Abroad usually have an overnight party to follow the election results, but I don't know if they have a branch in Florence.

colonna Sep 14th, 2008 04:38 AM

Thank you both. I'm at Residenza il Carmine, and there appears to be a TV, but not sure if there is any international programming. I'll look for Democrats Abroad-- for this election, I'd like some company, even if I have to be up at 4 AM.

hetismij Sep 14th, 2008 04:44 AM

The website says there is satellite TV in all the apartments, so there is a good chance you will find coverage in English on at least one channel. CNN, BBC World and Sky will all have extensive coverage.

phyllis_stein Sep 14th, 2008 06:46 AM

This struck a chord with me: we were away on extended trips for the 2000 election, the 2004 election, and now we'll be gone for the 2008 as well.

I didn't like going to sleep without knowing what the results were.

If the results are the same this time around, I'm going to develop a complex about it.

flanneruk Sep 14th, 2008 07:04 AM

Do remember, though, that the California polls don't close till 2000 PST - which is 0500 Central European Time on the Friday morning.

All you get before breakfast in Europe is projections based on exit samples - and their track record over the past two elections has been mediocre.

As a lifelong election geek, I've had to get reconciled to just going to bed on US Presidential night, then following the action on Friday morning, either by radio (BBC World Service: probably available in Florence on NovaRadioCittàFutura at 101.5 FM) or these days the computer.

knoxvillecouple Sep 14th, 2008 08:05 AM

The election is on Tuesday - it's always on a Tuesday. I don't understand why one would be looking for results on Friday - the time difference is not THAT great!

:)

Sam

colonna Sep 14th, 2008 10:49 AM

Thanks to all. I contacted Democrats Abroad and they were very friendly and helpful. There are events planned (maybe including a returns-watching breakfast?). I appreciate all your tips.

laartista Sep 14th, 2008 11:50 AM

Hey I have SKY Sattellite you come watch over here, I'm gonna have an election night all night party! Starts at 10:00 pm until we have a winner.I'm serious :)

Jayne11159 Sep 14th, 2008 12:16 PM

Colonna--how did you find Democrats Abroad? I'm going to be in Valenica during the elections and I'd like to find out if they have anything planned there.

Thannks

thursdaysd Sep 14th, 2008 01:45 PM

Colonna - did you have to register to connect with Democrats Abroad? I'm going to be in Portugal for the election. My email to the chair of the Portuguese branch didn't get delivered, but I'm hesitant to register as I don't have a foreign address.

colonna Sep 14th, 2008 02:03 PM

Hi laartista-- thanks for the invitation!

thursdaysd, I did get a very prompt and friendly reply from the chairperson of Democrats Abroad in Florence. I didn't have to register to find out what was happening. Try emailing the contact in another city (or headquarters).

It was easy to find all the Dems Abroad contacts through Google.

If I've posted this twice, apologies. Having some trouble with the edit function.