Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Was this the "norm" or was this restaurant going too far?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/was-this-the-norm-or-was-this-restaurant-going-too-far-126156/)

lyv May 25th, 2001 09:51 AM

Was this the "norm" or was this restaurant going too far??

Few years ago found one of those "local" restaurants that you read about in the Europe on $5/day or such. It was small, crowded (with locals), staff barely spoke English and there was no washroom (unless you count the waiter taking you outside, around the corner, opening a door to a hole in the floor). But ohmyGod, the food was heavenly (even though the chef had a cigarette hanging from his mouth as he cooked). Anyways, my question ... we shared these picnic type tables with local people. The folks beside us were about to leave as we sat down and they had left about 1/3 of their wine in the jug. I saw the waiter go and "top up" their jug and give it to us. He then told us we would only pay for what we drank!!! Tell me true, was this for real??!!

Rex May 25th, 2001 10:01 AM

What exactly was the question? you were there - - doesn't that make it "real"? Are you wondering if you were served wine that made you hallucinate? <BR> <BR>I have never illusions that wine "by the carafe" wasn't "re-topped" or "recycled" - - you don't drink directly out of the carafe, do you? <BR> <BR>And there haven't been Europe on $5 a day books for thirty years. <BR> <BR>Or is Tyrrrrollll that this post refers to? <BR>

skidoo May 25th, 2001 10:04 AM

Actually the Macaroni Grill chain does this in the US.

Cindy May 25th, 2001 10:07 AM

OK. Now that we've belittled lyv for asking about this, here's what I think: <BR> <BR>I have seen recycling as you describe, lyv. I wouldn't sweat it or feel that sanitation was compromised. <BR> <BR>Besides, you had a heavenly meal, so you're already way ahead of the game. <BR> <BR>Take care.

stayedup May 25th, 2001 11:11 AM

Rex, pull those claws back in...I think lyv was curious about her "out of the way" type place and was just sharing a story with us. And ok, inflation has brought it up to Europe on $100 day but you knew perfectly well what she meant.

Don't Forget May 25th, 2001 11:19 AM

I thought we all agreed not refer to that person as "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

clairobscur May 25th, 2001 11:25 AM

<BR>I'm quite sure that it won't usually be done in front of you, but I'm also quite sure it will be done nevertheless. And anyway, it isn't unhygienic, so what's the issue?

cantadd May 25th, 2001 11:50 AM

can't figure out how you pay for what you use?? I can see that you'd pay for a whole carafe and if you don't drink part of it, your problem. So are you saying that if you only drank 1/2 the carafe, you only pay for 1/2 the carafe?? And, thou who isn't named...take a chill pill.

Mariarosa May 25th, 2001 11:57 AM

Hi lyv! The first time I went to Europe, in 1985, I went with my parents. We were in Frankfurt and my parents decided to stop by the first bar they saw and grab a beer and sausages. The next thing I know my dad is gesturing wildly and refusing the beer that the bartender served him. The bartender finally served him another beer, which my dad happily drank. I asked my dad what had happened, and he said that the bartender poured the leftover beer from another customer (not from a pitcher, but from the glass the guy had been drinking) and poured it into my dad's glass, added more beer from the tap and served it to my dad. Naturally, my dad refused!

cheapskate May 25th, 2001 12:23 PM

Just curious..can you still get those "Europe on xxx Day"? and are they any good with respect to restaurants??

Maira May 25th, 2001 12:31 PM

Lyv, sorry, I don't get it.I would be more concerned about no washrooms....

cindy May 25th, 2001 12:52 PM

I guess you got the whole range of the "Italian local" experience - I think that would have been great fun! (except the hole in the floor!!)...and btw, the only reason I wouldn't like to keep getting "topped up" is that while the jug's been sitting on the table and if there's that much commotion and people around, I wouldn't be sure what may have landed in that jug! Sure wouldn't be able to see anything in the red wine!!! <BR>(like a cigarette ash, piece of food etc.)..

Louise May 25th, 2001 10:40 PM

Hy lyv, this sounds like Italy. In some restaurants, if you order house wine, rather than serving it by the glass, they put a full bottle on the table. When it comes time to pay the bill, the waiter looks to see how much wine is left and bills you accordingly. I would imagine that they refill the bottle for the next table. This happened to my friend and me two years ago in Florence. In the past the wine would be their own production, and they would fill the bottle from a barrel in the back. I'm not sure if this is still the case. I wasn't concerned about "health" issues over this - merely enjoyed the wine.

unnamed May 25th, 2001 11:07 PM

Cigarette ashes are, by the way, sterile. You can't GET ANYTHING by swallowing something that has had an ash fall in it, like a glass of wine. They don't multiply, either.

May I May 26th, 2001 04:35 AM

Topping a bottle of wine is better than what happened to us. We were staying at a hotel at the airport in Paris and enjoying bowls of French onion soup. We had been given a basket with only one small bread roll in it, so when the waiter passed by, we asked if we could have more bread to eat with our soup. So he went around to a few tables where the people had left but the tables were not yet cleaned and emptied the remains of those bread baskets into ours and then placed our filled basket before us. Service with a smile.....

xxx May 26th, 2001 05:03 AM

&lt;&lt;better than what happened to us&gt;&gt;??? <BR> <BR>What happened to you? You got rolls of the same freshness as were available in the resturant's kitchen. <BR> <BR>The worst thing that happened was that someone here had to read about your prissy attitudes. <BR>

Dave May 26th, 2001 06:18 AM

Six of us ate in the kitchen of a fancy, expensive restaurant in DC. I watched the waiters bring back baskets of bread from the dining room, empty them in a large basket, and the next waiter took some out in another basket for the next diner.

more May 26th, 2001 06:30 AM

Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! No wonder I always get sick on vacation!

restaurant May 26th, 2001 07:14 AM

Not supposed to do that in the states. If the health department finds out, they will fine the restaurant a healthy amount, and if the practice continues, they will shut the restaurant down for several days.

Cindy May 26th, 2001 08:06 AM

I'm with May I. Reusing the bread off the table is gross. Previous patrons have fondled it with their unwashed hands. Ack!