Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

was suppose to leave for Europe tomorrow but...

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Sally

My 20 day vacation was to start tomorrow leaving out of LAX for Munich. But upon these awful events of today, I will be cancelling my trip. Hopefully, I'll be able to get refunds on hotels and train tickets but that is the least of my concerns right now. Please advise if you would have cancelled or gone ahead with this trip were you in my shoes.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:36 AM
sam

I'm supposed to be leaving for Germany on Saturday - for business. Not sure what's going to happen. <BR> <BR>I guess if I were you, I would assume I wouldn't be leaving tomorrow, but I would go. This is, assuming that you don't have loved ones in tenuous situations.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Jim

We were leaving Friday for Spain and Italy. I jusy cancelled the trip. This is far from over. You made the rifgt decision

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Jayelle

I was supposed to leave for Paris on Friday. I will be cancelling my trip.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Sally

I just spoke to one of my travel buddies (there will be 6 of us total) and he's refusing to cancel unless LAX is shut down tomorrow. Therefore, I am torn between cancelling or going. Please give me your imputs. Thank you.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Chuck

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel. While we cannot bow to terrorists, leaving tomorrow IMO is just too soon.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Parrot Mom

Don't let anyone make you or scare you to cancel your trip. The only way that you should not go is if LAX is closed. We Americans are not and should not bow to these terrorists.. If it were me, I'd go..the hell with them..

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Rex

My INITIAL reaction is that the fall Fodorites' trip is ON, but all those who wish to cancel have my full and complete support and empathy. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:59 AM
dj

supposed to leave on Friday for italy. Question is, will the planes be leaving? Probably safer there than here. I'll probably go if I can. At least the security will be safer than it's been in a long time. But, then again, part of me wonders if I should go? To many emotions right now. Sorry if this is a rambling message.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Florence

Some years ago, during a spate of terrorist bombings by the IRA in London, most people were afraid to go there from the continent. However, British government asked tourist to come nevertheless, in order to show terrorists that nobody was going to bow down to them. Despite warnings and pleas from my family, I went, because I thing if you give in to threats, those scums win. <BR> <BR>In your cases, given the uncertainty about what is going to happen next (I truly wish this madness is over now), I also think leaving tomorrow is a bit too soon.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:02 AM
RB

This from www.excite.com news site; AP article: <BR>Airlines Divert, Cancel Flights <BR> <BR> <BR>Updated: Tue, Sep 11 12:56 PM EDT <BR> <BR>LONDON (AP) - International airlines scrambled to divert or cancel flights to the United States on Tuesday after a wave of airborne terror attacks on New York and Washington. Israel closed its airspace to foreign carriers. <BR> <BR>The cancellations and diversions caused confusion and congestion at many European airports, where airlines ordered flights bound for the United States to do U-turns or find alternate landing points outside America. <BR> <BR>Some airlines reversed course only after being denied permission to land by the Federal Aviation Administration, which ordered U.S. airspace shut down in response to the apparent hijacking of U.S. passenger jets by suicide bombers. <BR> <BR>Israel closed its airspace to foreign airlines. Israeli carriers - which carry out stringent security checks - will still be able to land at Israel's four airports, said Yerach Tal, an adviser to the Israeli transport minister. The ban will be in effect for 24 hours, and will then be reviewed, Tal said. <BR> <BR>The German Flight Security Agency in Frankfurt ordered all U.S.-bound flights by Lufthansa canceled. A Finnair flight out of Helsinki turned around and returned to Finland. Air France Group ordered its American flights closed or rerouted. <BR> <BR>In Belgium, Sabena Air spokesman Wilfried Remans said two flights en route to the United States were "turning around in mid-flight and returning to Brussels." <BR> <BR>In Spain, national carrier Iberia said four scheduled flights from Madrid to the United States were in the air and three of them - destined to New York, Chicago and Miami - were ordered to return to Spain. The fourth, flying from Barcelona to New York, was awaiting clearance into a Canadian airport, an Iberia official said. <BR> <BR>Scandinavian Airlines System ordered three flights bound for New York, and another flight bound for Washington, to divert while over the Atlantic. They were expected to land instead in Iceland. SAS spokesman Thomas Brinch in Copenhagen said he wasn't sure when flights to the United States would resume. <BR> <BR>At Heathrow Airport outside London, several flights already bound for the United States were expected to divert to Canadian airports while those that hadn't taken off were delayed indefinitely. <BR> <BR>British Airways, which flies to 21 destinations in the United States, said all services were being canceled, diverting to the nearest airport outside the United States, or returning to London. <BR> <BR>Virgin Atlantic also canceled its daily services to New York and other U.S. cities, but said its services from London to the Caribbean would be uninterrupted. <BR> <BR>A Swissair flight carrying Cypriot President Glafcos Clerides, bound from Zurich to New York, turned back over the Atlantic Ocean after being denied permission to land, Cypriot radio reported. <BR> <BR>The flight returned to Europe, according to the report, which didn't specify an airport. <BR> <BR>Clerides was heading to New York for United Nations talks on the reunification of Cyprus. <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Leslie

In actuality, there will be much more heightened security at the airports going forward. If you do decide to fly, just be aware that there will also be delays. <BR> <BR>Don't ever let these coward terrorists prevent you from your plans. <BR> <BR>Leslie

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Connie

My husband and I are scheduled to leave Friday for London. We are on a United flight out of Dulles. We're a little nervous anout what is going to happen. If the flights are not cancelled, I guess we will still go. I feel that security will probably be very high.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:10 AM
ana

My plane leaves sat - have a cruise and stay at Italy and France. No way I'll cancel. Nothing I could do would be able to hold me, that would give them the more reasons to go on scaring us decent folks. No WAY - I'm living - I'm going to give it my best shot to show them.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:13 AM
dan woodlief

That is a tough one Sally. I don't know. Odds are nothing would happen, but who knows, right? Sure, there should be heavily increased security tomorrow at most airports, but I wouldn't be comfortable with flying then. Just me, but I am not usually all that cautious. I will likely go ahead with my trip a month from now (airports of RDU, London-Gatwick, Venice, and Rome), depending on how the international situation evolves. However, I have already told a few people here that I would cancel if my daughter were going with us. My wife and I still need to talk about it.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:16 AM
What to Do?

Well, I am supposed to leave the 19th from St. Louis straight to Paris. Thats a week and a half away and I guess I will have to see if this is a single event or part of a series(I hope not, that basically means war!). My parents are trippin I guess I see where they're coming from. Guess I'll wait and see what unfolds....God Bless America!

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Vita

I'm supposed to leave for Italy on Thursday. I probably will if the flight isn't cancelled. I guess I'll have to see how it pans out tomorrow.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Steve

Message: Sally, if you cancel now, the terrorists have won. Your only problem is that your flight may be cancelled or delayed. <BR>It is a time to be brave and stand up for democracy.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Ana

Leave, give them a blow. Don 't be afraid and take your stand for democracy and show no fear. <BR>They will be hunted down, make no mistake, and they will pay. Cancelling will only add to the blow they've given. <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Greg

I leave in 12 days for a honeymoon to Europe. No way am I going to let a bunch of gutless a$$hole terrorists stop me unless all flights are cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO