Was Germany, now UK, but where to?

Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:15 AM
BranV

Was Germany, now UK, but where to?

We planned to go to Germany Dec. 26-Jan. 1, but it just seems like everywhere we want to go, the hotels are booked! We wanted to go there to see the gorgeous landscape and the historical sites, but that may just have to wait. If it's that booked, we'd rather not be crowded in. SO, the next option is England. We don't just want to see London, as that is more of the metropolitan area (maybe 2 days here), we'd like to get out and see other parts of England. If you were looking for breathtaking landscape, historic villages (bed and breakfast stays and castle stays would be great), in late December, where would you go? The Lakes, Cotswald, where? Would a trip to Ireland or Scotland or Wales be worthwhile? I read in here that in Scotland in the winter many of the sites are closed. Help!! And if you're wondering why only Germany or England, American has a special where you can use only 70,000 airline miles to fly roundtrip for two to those two areas. Thanks in advance!!

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:31 AM
Laura

We spent a few nights in the Cotswolds this summer and found it beautiful and restful. The name of the town was Chipping Campden and the hotel was called The Cotswold House. You can find more information about them on the internet. I would recommend The Cotswold House very, very highly -- it was lovely and the restaurant served some incredible food. Also, Chipping Campden is very centrally located among many of the other beautiful and quaint Cotswold villages -- Stratford-upon-Avon, Upper and Lower Slaughter, Burton-on-the-Water to name a few. Have fun! Laura

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Jayne

This is my faviourite place:

Hartwell House (not cheap, but if you can't afford the hotel prices, you can always go for afternoon tea in the library, or a reasonable set sunday lunch. (You definately have to book well in advance, even in the off season as the locals go to this locale).

http://www.hartwell-house.com/index.html

Based in Aylesbury - you can drive easily to Windsor, Oxford the Cotswolds, nice pubs on the river.

Good for you - get out and about and enjoy!

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:43 AM
pete

Check out North Yorkshire, and the Yorkshire Dales. They are beautiful country. I don't know how many things are open at that time of year though, and the weather may be a little rough (cold and windy). York has a spectacular Minster and old medieval city streets, the Dales have beautiful vistas and walks, with picturesque villages, pubs and B&Bs along the way. Good bases for sightseeing are York, and many of the small villages in the dales (Skipton, Thirsk, and up towards the lake district). You also may want to check into Edinburgh. New Year's is a big deal (Hogmany) so there may be a lot of activity there too.

Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:11 AM
ingrid

Out of curiosity: Where did you want to go in Germany? It's hard to imagine that "everything is booked", unless you focused on sites know to foreign tourists, i.e. Garmisch. Hav eyou considered the Black Forest or other places in the Alpes, or perhaps Berlin?

Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
ingrid

Check out www.placestostay.com

There is still plenty of availability for the time frame you mentioned, both in the Bavarian Alps as well as Baden-Baden and Black Forest.
I don't want to talk you out of England, but having lived in both countries, Germany might be nicer in winter.

Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:18 PM
kathryn

You may want to visit Stamford on the Leicestershire /Lincolnshire borders,as it is a beautiful ,unspoilt Georgian town.It is ofter used for filming period dramas & films (think Jane Austen).The Derbyshire Dales are also stunning,high peaks & National Parks,with tiny villages & picturesque market towns.Hope you have a great trip whereever you go & I'd be glad to help if you have any further questions.