Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

was 3+ mos in an RV-now 8mos no plan,2kids,low $-suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - here's the deal. Our carte de sejour in france runs out Aug 15. We're getting a tourist visa and then Oct 31 have to be out of our Paris apt with nowhere to go as our house in the states is rented through June 08. Don't mind the kids not going to school as we used to be homeschoolers, but they've had a good start in the french school system.
Don't mind bending the rules a little with visas. Minimal possessions, some $ but not tons, adventurous spirits.
Any ideas of how to stay in Europe, see alot, not tent camping?
Looking for 'out of the box' ideas- but not dangerous as the kids are with us. Totally open minded...
thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM
ira

t
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Roger_Lisa

I agree with ira. But I'll bite.
wouldn't it be cheaper and better on your children to just go to your home town and rent an apartment until your house is free?

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

NPR did a story about people who act as housesitters. They live in someones home and take care of it in return for lodging. You might research that - some agencies are listed on the web and there might be some posts about it here.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:36 AM

There is a poster on both here and Slow Trav - a mom, dad, and 6 year old daughter - making a multi-year trip around the world in an RV. Here is a link to their blog.

http://www.soultravelers3.com/

It is great reading - what an adventure they are having - but they might be someone to contact. The mom seems very nice and accessible.

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks amamax2! I am one of the soul travelers and we have been living and touring Europe for a year and perhaps our blog that she posted would be a help to you.

I happen to think living like a native in Spain is a great way to spend the winter in Europe and it is very cheap.

We are a family of 3 and live on about 33 dollars a day in the winter. It is easy to get long term winter rentals that are furnished.

If you need to be out of the schengen area then perhaps think Morocco or Turkey as I know people that winter there and the people are very sweet.

In Morocco you would be able to continue speaking your French and one can live there very cheaply.

My email addy is [email protected] and I am willing to talk whenever I have internet access.

We are on the move ourselves via RV so it comes and goes, but if you have time I always get back to people.

>wouldn't it be cheaper and better on your children to just go to your home town and rent an apartment until your house is free?

Not necessarily. We find it MUCH cheaper and more enriching to travel and homeschool. It is the ultimate field trip and has been an amazing experience for our family and child.

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Wow I'm so glad I posted this question! Thank you for the contacts! I will def follow up. And yes, it would be much more expensive and def not much fun, to move back to our home town and rent. Much rather tour some of Europe - we know we'll have to end up going back, moving back in, buying cars etc eventually. I'd hate to go back earlier than we have to and sit there thinking 'wow I could have been in Morroco this week'!
Thanks for the feedback!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM

I researched that NPR article and found some additional information here and on AARP. There is an organization named "caretaker.org" that advertises house sitting and/or caretaking opportunties all over the world. You have to subscribe but it seems worth it. I found a post here where it was also recommended by someone who had done many housesitting gigs and had a good experience.

Good luck