Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Warwick-Train?Bus?or Tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/warwick-train-bus-or-tour-182996/)

Pamela Mar 27th, 2002 05:35 AM

Warwick-Train?Bus?or Tour?

We would like to visit Warwick and would appreciate any information on your best mode of transport. I have found that a train departs from London Marylebone to Warwick on the hour. This envolves takeing the tube from Victoria to Marylebone in the early moning. The bus leaves from Victoria coach station down the street. The tours will pick you up , however you have limited time at Warwick? Car is not a option. Thanks again for all replys.

xxx3 Mar 27th, 2002 06:03 AM

Forget the tours, the train wlil be fine. The station in Warwick is a ten-minute walk from the castle. I believe that there are also trains from Paddington.

ron Mar 27th, 2002 06:10 AM

The one time I visited Warwick, I arrived by narrowboat, stayed four nights and returned to London by train, so I don't have direct experience with a day excursion. But if I was doing one, I would use the train just for the flexibility of staying late, perhaps attending choral evensong at St Mary's, eating in Warwick and seeing the castle lit up at night. The obvious advantage of coach for you is easier access in AM and it probably drops you right in the centre of Warwick, near the castle, while the train station is a 10 minute walk.

janis Mar 27th, 2002 08:16 AM

The train better because because of the frquent schedule and being on your own schedule.<BR><BR>BUT - have you considered driving? renting a car for the day woul dbe about the same price as the train and you would heve even more time and flexibility. You could drive straight to Warwick - spend 5 or 6 hours there and still have time for a visit to Stratford, or Blenheim Palace or Oxford on your way back to London.<BR><BR>If driving doesn't appeal, then definitely take the train.

meg Mar 27th, 2002 08:35 AM

The train station is convenient for the Castle and the main square. The journey takes about 1.5 hours from Marylebone. You will have so much more flexibility and will not have the hassle of trying to park the car. Coach trips will be rushed and probably include other attractions such as Stratford or the Cotswolds. <BR>There's usually the odd knight or medieval bow-man wandering the Castle Grounds and soemtimes a whole medieval village. Have fun!

Ellen Mar 27th, 2002 08:45 AM

Check Warwick Castle's excellent web site for special events. Last summer, they had a festival going on almost all the time, with special jousting and archery events, etc. We had a great time!<BR><BR>http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/

Did the tour Mar 27th, 2002 09:06 AM

We did the tour bus and was very happy with it. We stopped in Strafford and Oxford and then to Warwick to see the castle. We arranged our tour thru the hotel and it picked us up right in front of the hotel. It began early AM and returned late PM. We slept on the way back to london. Were dropped off in front of our hotel. Took a quick shower and went to dinner. We had plenty of time to tour Shakespere's home, Oxford University, shopping, lunch, etc. We felt it was worth the <BR>money!<BR><BR>Did the tour

Lori Mar 27th, 2002 09:20 AM

Pamela, take the train. It's a very easy ride and trains run frequently. Don't even think about renting a car as someone else mentioned, it's too much hassle for one day. The train ride is very pleasant, scenery pretty, etc. Short walk to the Castle. I don't understand your statement about taking the tube to Marylebone in the early morning. You can catch a train about 10 a.m. and have plenty of time up there. You don't mention where you are staying, but it's pretty quick by tube to anyplace in London, including Marylebone. It's a nice station, by the way, not so huge you can get lost inside. We've taken trains from there several times to various places and we like departing from there because it is convenient and not as jammed packed as Paddington or Victoria Stations. Don't take a tour unless you enjoy limited time in places - this one is so very easy to do on your own anyway.

Pamela Mar 27th, 2002 09:56 AM

The train it is! <BR>Thank you all for your responses. I found on the Chiltern Railway web site a special offer of rail and admission ticket to Warwick 27.00 pounds per adult. I cannot find on the site the train schedule, It takes me to a different rail site and when I put in start and destination it gives me a different train line. I guess I will wait to arrive in Londoan and hope I can find better information on the train. The reason I considered the bus is because we are staying at the Thistle Victoria at Victoria Station.Thanks again for all your help.

ron Mar 27th, 2002 10:38 AM

Pamela, the combined ticket saves you a few quid. The Chiltern trains leave at 8:35 am and then 10 minutes and forty minutes after the hour throughout the morning (9:10, 9:40, etc) Monday thru Saturday and once an hour on Sundays.

Julie Mar 27th, 2002 11:42 AM

Have fun at Warwick Castle! It is indeed very close to the train station. We spent about 3 hours at the castle and didn't see everything so leave yourself plenty of time.

Lori Mar 27th, 2002 01:31 PM

Pamela, Check out www.rail.co.uk I just looked and it gives the schedules from Marylebone to Warwick. Lots of trains, to and from all day. Enjoy your visit!

Bill Mar 27th, 2002 02:18 PM

I'm a little confused I too am heading to Warwick (based on previous guidance thanks!) The railroad web site indicates a travel time of 2 1/2 hours from Tower Hill to Warwick. But the postings here indicate that it should only take one hour. Am I routing wrong???<BR>

janis Mar 27th, 2002 02:37 PM

Tower Hill is a TUBE station - not a railroad station. <BR><BR>The train from London to Warwick takes about 70 minutes (or more if you take one with more stops enroute) but you need to get to the railroad station.<BR>

Ron Mar 27th, 2002 08:19 PM

Bill, in spite of what others have said, the train time for the direct train from London Marylebone to Warwick is 1h45m. As I noted earlier, they run every half hour during the day. Add the 35m to 40m to get from Tower Hill to Marylebone and you have your 2h30m. Direct trains from London Paddington to Warwick also take 1h45m, but they are less frequent, only 4 per day.