Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Warsaw Krakow Zakopane (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/warsaw-krakow-zakopane-845117/)

madameX Jun 15th, 2010 11:41 AM

Warsaw Krakow Zakopane

We plan a trip to Poland next spring that will include 1 week in Warsaw (business) and then we'd like to spend a few days each in Krakow and Zakopane. We prefer train travel between these cities. While I've seen a thread about these three places, it is more than a few years old with some broken links, so I thought I'd re-start a newer thread.

Some basics: the hotel in Warsaw will largely be based on convenience to the business commitment, but we are open for suggestions in the other cities. While we like a good value, we have financial flexibility for a place that might have some history, some nicer amenities, and a good location. We prefer to NOT spend all our time getting to where we really want to be.

Travel interests: museums, architecture, good food, nice walks, interesting shopping and cultural districts. The possibility of some hiking is a plus around Zakopane.

If anyone knows a good ballrooom-style dance spot, that would also be appreciated. Long before "Dancing With the Stars," we were foxtrotting and tango-ing. No head-banger discos, please.

Time of year: probably late spring early summer.

Smeagol Jun 15th, 2010 12:01 PM

I can recommend Andels in Krakow, opposite the main train station and only a 5 minute walk from the centre of town.
I also used a fantastic driver who took us to Auschwitz (you can get the bus but i wanted a private driver) and we took the tour offered by the museum itself. It was very very good and of course moving. Let me know if you want Daniels details.
I really liked Krakow, we only had 2 days there so hope to return.

BigRuss Jun 15th, 2010 12:13 PM

Hotel Wentzl in Krakow was right on Rynek Glowny. But it's a walk-up so if you can't handle stairs, don't stay there.

Take Mike's Crazy Guides tour of Commie Krakow and tell them you want to go to the Arka Pana, which has a fantastic story.

madameX Jun 17th, 2010 06:49 AM

Thanks very much for the insights - I'll start browsing those options.

Stairs are not a problem. We are people "of a certain age," but quite healthy and sturdy. If possible, we'd plan some hiking around Zakopane.

Thanks also for the touring recommendations. They both sound like good options. Historic and crazy are both appreciated.

Kwoo Jul 1st, 2010 06:46 AM

I also recommend Hotel Saski in Krakow. It's about 1/2 block from Rynek Glowny. The breakfast is delicious & one of the best I've had in a hotel: includes both hot & cold foods, & eggs cooked to order.

madameX Jul 2nd, 2010 01:59 PM

As always, thank you Fodorites for your suggestions.

cider43 Sep 2nd, 2013 10:07 AM

Would love to read a trip report as we are planning similar itinerary for spring, want to hike in Zakopane and are younger than our birth certificates imply.

janisj Sep 2nd, 2013 10:16 AM

cider43: madameX hasn't posted on Fodors (at least w/ that screen name) in nearly 2 years.

adrienne Sep 2nd, 2013 10:29 AM

If you want to read trip report then choose Poland from the "view by country" drop down box and scroll to the bottom. Trip reports on Poland are shown there.

Michael Dec 15th, 2013 06:35 AM

You might like the place where we stayed in Zakopane. It's in my trip report; click on my name to find it.

Michael Dec 15th, 2013 10:32 AM

I feel stupid. I should have noted the date of the posting.

janisj Dec 15th, 2013 10:33 AM

slowder and Michael: madamX isn't still looking for a hotel - the thread is almost 4 years old . . .

slowder Dec 15th, 2013 11:52 AM

yes, you are right but sometimes people reading comments even if was 4 years ago :-)

janisj Dec 15th, 2013 11:56 AM

Michael: we we posting at the same time.

slowder: when people register only to dig up old threads, it looks a lot like advertising.

cider43 Feb 16th, 2014 08:34 AM

A belated thanks for your reply, Michael. I looked at your trip report and noted rain and SNOW in Zakopane in May. We will be there in May, and realize there is a high probability of rain but we have had enough of snow this year. Will pack accordingly, thank you.