Madrid OR Toledo

Search

Madrid OR Toledo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid OR Toledo

I'll be visiting Spain the first week of January, starting in Barcelona. I was going to spend a few days in Barcelona, then two or three days in Madrid, flying home from there. I am also interested in Toledo, though. Instead of squeezing in a day in Toledo, I'm wondering if I should just skip Madrid in favor of two or three days in Toledo? I will have covered a big city, art museums, etc. in Barcelona. Toledo looks to provide a unique and very historical experience in comparison.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I'd base myself for the 3 days in Madrid but take a daytrip for one of these days to Toledo. It's a shame you don't have longer for Madrid/Toledo. Although both Barcelona and Madrid are large cites they are very unique- there's really no comparison.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:42 AM

Just because they are cities does not mean they are alike.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:36 AM

To me it sounds like you would personally be happier with a trip to Toledo, which you have correctly identified as unique -- it is in many respects, historically, unique in Europe. It is a very moving place, rich with delights as well as things of historical fascination with contemporary relevance.

It is objectively true that Madrid, the modern capital of Federal Spain, is quite a different city from Catalonia, but it is a city, and its most important attractions are its museums of painting.

Since you might be passing through Madrid, you should read up on the collection in the Prado and the other major museums. The Prado is not a huge museum and it has paintings that are not only beautiful but very important in the history of art.

The only other thing I could add is that I find the nightlife and the food in Madrid more enjoyable than I do in Barcelona. So if a big reason you are coming to Spain is food and nightlife, you might find Madrid a rewarding base. If a big reason you are coming is the well-preserved architecture, history and atmosphere, Toledo is certainly that without being an empty shell for tourist show.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 02:37 AM

Sorry for my typo, I meant to type "Catalonian Barcelona"
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM

Take the fast train early in the morning and spend the day wandering in Toledo, have lunch and wander some more.Be aware it can be very cold in Both Madrid and Toledo in January!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM

I agree both cities are completely different, and Barcelona is not a huge city. One can enjoy Madrid without setting foot in a museum. Both have stellar nightlife, but unless you are dining high-end, I have to agree that Madrid is much better food-wise than BCN. I would stay in Madrid and take a daytrip to Toledo.