WARNING: New style of theft in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday night on French news they discussed a new style of theft that targets tourists inbound from CDG airport. Tourists in taxis are the target. A team of two on motorcyles or scooters work together, one brings traffic to a halt and the other opens the door of the taxi , reaches in , grabs a bag or purse right out of the car, or directly from the passenger, and then drives off. The whole thing happens in under 15 seconds. The news focused on inbound passengers from CDG because they often have cash and passports in their bags which make them a desirable target. Be sure to lock your door when taking a taxi to avoid this type of theft.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:28 AM

Interesting and thanks. This has been a ploy in southern France for quite some time according to what I have read on other boards.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:28 AM

this is one of the oldest tricks in spain.
but normal in city stoplights or traffic jams the dangerous moment. always keep doors locked and windows partially up, and bags OUT OF SIGHT as the scooters check out their prey and then follow them until they can attack.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:40 AM
P_M

Many years ago I was in a cab in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the driver insisted we lock our doors for the same reason. This is probably a good practice just about everywhere. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:48 AM

In Naples, Italy, I've seen them go one step further -- break the window and reach in and grab the purse.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:51 AM
ira

Ah, the wonders of the internet.

Now thieves can trade "tricks of the trade" online.

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

A few years back an elderly friend of ours and her husband were driving in Milan. A guy on a motorbike reached through the window and grabbed her purse, which she was holding on her lap. As a result, four of her fingers were broken. So, keep the handbags out of sight on the floor and the car windows closed!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:59 AM

ira, this was a "trick of the trade" long before Al Gore invented the internet.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have to chime in with my story but not in Paris but here. There was a team of teens swiping ladies'bags as they swooped by them on their bicycles. My neighbor was out walking her dog and one of these teens grabbed her handbag.
I laughed when she told me, because I knew it was to put her dog's poop in. We were amused thinking of the kid's face when he opened the bag!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
cmt

New? Maybe they learned it from NJ, where there have been warnings about this type of crime (and worse)for many years. That's why it's a good idea to keep doors locked at windows rolled up when driving through cities where it's necessary to stop for red lights and/or traffic jams.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:30 AM

The kid on a bike swooping down to get one's purse happened to my sister in Vancouver.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:24 PM

I guess this posting just reinforces the idea of wearing a neck pouch or money belt (under your clothing). I don't think my wife carried a handbag the whole time we were in Europe.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:06 PM
P_M

That is SO funny, cigalechanta!! Those guys got what they deserved. I only hope they stuck their hand into the bag before looking to see what was in there.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM

My taxi driver last week from CDG to Gare Montparnasse kept all the windows closed despite my request to open them for some air. He said he needed to keep them closed "for security." I guess maybe he was being aware of such scams. I thought it was a bit odd,because usually taxi drivers will open windows for you if you ask.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM

Hopefully they won't resort to breaking the taxi windows. But even at home I always make sure to lock my door because the driver doesn't do it usually.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:12 PM

This has been going on in Brussels for a while too, but instead of targeting ladies' handbags, they are going after notebook computers. Two guys that my husband used to work with had their laptops ripped off from taxis in the last six months. Now if only they could figure out a way to carry laptops in a neck pouch!
(yes, they could put them in the trunk of the taxi, but the average businessman carrying only a small computer bag doesn't think the bag needs to be placed in a trunk)
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:07 PM

New? Only in Paris? They've been doing this in Wilmington, Delaware for a long time as well. Ohmygawd, we're sooooo avant garde! Seriously, I was told to at least loop my purse around something, make it difficult, they try? Then drive over their toes...
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:13 PM

One of my friends was a victim of pickpocket in Amsterdam a few weeks ago.

One of the men who helped her suggested that I loop my purse around my shoulder, with the bag itsself being in front of me, and then wore my jacket over it (I was wearing a camisole and a denim jacket). So they would pull your entire body before they can pull your purse away. I switched to that style for the rest of my trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM

On British TV tonight , they showed CCTV pictures of the old 'diversion' trick. ONe gang member throws yoghurt or something equally messy over the victim (who had been tracked from the bank where he had withdrwan a large sum in cash)Then other gang members pretended to 'help' and relieved him of the cash.
Amazingly, this same gang have been observed all over the world, targetting financial districts on every continent.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM

A variation on this theme has been done in Miami for decades. The big difference is in Miami they kill the tourists.