Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WARNING: ATM cards from USAA will not work in Russia or any Former Russian countries

Search

WARNING: ATM cards from USAA will not work in Russia or any Former Russian countries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a month-long trip to Russia and 5 former Russian countries. The USAA bank ATM cards would not work when we arrived in St Petersburg. After 2 days of searching for an ATM that would "work", I called USAA on my Cingular cell phone @ $4.95 per minute to find out why (Land phones only gave busy signals) and was told that this is USAA policy.

And yes, I had called USAA prior to leaving to tell them where we would be traveling. No mention was made that their ATM cards would not work there. The USAA "Manager" I just talked with to complain about this did not know of the policy either.

Fortunately, we carried lots of cash out of habit--we traveled long before ATM's or credit cards!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:50 AM

What about their credit cards?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

We didn't try to use them--used Citibank credit card
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the warning. I'm a USAA member and somehow this doesn't surprise me
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Budman, I DID use USAA credit card to make advance reservations for St P, Tallin, Riga, Kaliningrad, Minsk and Kiev hotels.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Thanks. I just wondered if there were past concerns with fraud using the ATM's or there was a cirrus/plus network problem.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Both my USAA ATM and MC were accepted in Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia. The limit for ATM is $600 or equivalence per withdfrawal.

My son just spent 2 months traveling all over Easter European countries, and never had them rejected. USAA allows 10 free ATM withdrawals per statement cycle, $2.00 each after that.

What surprised my son was the ATM he used in Montenegro only gave out €s, and merchants also accept €s.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM

That wouldn't have surprised him if he had read some tourism information ahead of time, as the euro is the official currency of Montenegro.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hi JaneB, this is why I always carry 2 ATM cards for two different checking accounts from two different financial institutions. Are you going to talk to USAA about this? Not good service IMHO which surprised me as I have always had good service from USAA, but obviously you didn't.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Love. I talked with them today--they apologized profusely--and have already reimbursed me with a deposit in our account for my cell phone call from St P to them. The manager kept insisting that an ATM for our savings account could never be used at a foreign ATM. I informed her that we HAVE already used it in China, India, Thailand, Chile, and Argentina. She is going to email with a complete explanation of their ATM usage rules.
Jane
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM

The tour guides on our river cruise told us that ATM transactions are often unsuccessful for a variety of reasons - phone lines aren't working (a common occurrence with credit card transactions also), the ATM is out of cash or just does not have bills in denominations required for the amount you entered (for example you entered 290 in hopes of getting some smaller bills and it has only hundreds), your bank is offline for overnight processing.

So even if your card "should" work in Russia, you may just have to keep trying. We were lucky the one time we tried, but many others on our cruise were not. Some, but not all, had success later.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Oh, so it's savings account ATM, not checking? There is a difference between those 2, just don't know what and why.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now you say it is an ATM card linked to your checking account. That is likely the problem. Some people say they have used a savings acct. ATM, but in general the advice for traveling to Europe is always to make sure the card is linked to a checking acct.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:26 PM

There is a better explanation of ATMs and their connection to checking and savings accounts in this post:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34867495
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hi JaneB, I know in Italy one can only access their money via ATM's from ones checking account. But USAA should have told you that when you called to advise them you would be using your card in Russia etc. Guess that only applies to Europe since you did not have any problems in Asia and SA. Thanks for posting back JaneB.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

We had 2 USAA ATM cards--one linked to a savings account and one linked to a checking account. Both gave some sort of error message when we tried them in St P--also in several other countries when we "tested" to see if they would work. My husband also had an ATM card for a small local bank--and it worked like a charm in EVERY country. Unfortunately, we did not have a lot of cash in this bank since we use USAA banking for our travels--up to now!
Jane