want to vacation in january, but don't want to freeze

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to have a warm european vacation in january? if not, any suggestions on places that would afford the same cultural possibilities in a warmer clime? (in other words, we don't necessarily want to sit by a beach for 7 straight days.)
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I would guess southern Spain and teh Canary Islands would be fairly freeze-free in January, but if you're up for a bit of exotica, consider Morocco. It won't be warm, but it will be a lot warmer than most European destinations.It's also a beautiful country.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I would recommend Thailand. It will be hot but the best weather is December/January. It's not expensive and has lots of cultural sites. Spend about 3 days in Bangkok and then head to Chiangmai/Chiangrai (personal favorites). If these appeals to you please write me at [email protected].
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:23 PM

They moved Thailand to Europe?

Wow, isn't technology marvellous?

Anywhere in the southern Med will be fine. I've been to Cyprus in January, and whilst it wasn't scorching you could sit comfortably oustide in a warm sun (clothed).

you need warm clothes for the evening
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:52 PM

I second the canary islands as a warm winter destination. Southern turkey and southern spain will not be cold either.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:24 AM
ira

Hi,

Have you thought about Australia or New Zeland
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:41 AM
JonJon

I cannot quite believe that Sheila has not re-posted with another one of her "geography" lessons!
I agree that most of "Europe" could be chancy at that time of year. Depending on one's definition of "cultural" and if that means only European "cultural" I guess everywhere else is out, I think the southern hemisphere Australia-New Z. is a good recommendation. With apologies to the purists amongst us, of course!

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:58 AM

I'm not sure I deserved that. I'm much more of a linguistic pedant than a geographic one. And I did make a real suggestion from direct experience.

Nothing is quite like Europe. Other cultures are, of course, wonderful. Mexico and Peru would both be on my list for warm in January and cultural.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:35 AM

In Europe, I would suggest Malta, but I've heard a lot of places are closed in January. It wouldn't be hot, but wouldn't be freezing.

For something completely different, try Dubai. You'll be guaranteed sunshine and there is a huge variety of things to do. Some of the best package deals to Dubai originate in the UK, so you might want to consider flying to London, spending a day there to recover from jet lag, and then jet off to Dubai (which is still a very safe place to visit). Emirates Airlines is one of the world's best, FYI.