Paris gift ideas for loved ones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be special birthdays coming up - my parents, two sisters and brother. Though they have been to Paris (except brother), they will not be visiting this year. As a birthday gift, I was planning to pick a few Paris-related items they might love - i.e food/snacks, cosmetics, kitchen stuff - wrapping each one beautifully and laying them snuggly inside a luxurious box before mailing it. I was hoping to put together 6-7 pieces they can individually unwrap. I realize this is a tough order but I'm sure we can come up with great options. Requesting opinions from Paris enthusiasts to make it a memorable experience. I once did this for my sister's birthday and she loved it, tears and everything. It was mainly filled with all of our childhood snacks. For this year's present, one of the gifts included will be a large jar of Henri Le Roux Caramélier. Any advice and ideas very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM

I would start at the Bastille market, open Thurs and Sun. Scarves, special honeys, soaps, tinned pates, linen tea towels and more can all be found at great prices.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM

- Kitchen related :
Something like a corkscrew ?
Herbs ?
Mustard ?

- scarf ?

- tourist related
cap
snowball (my children love those, some are nice)
T-shirt

- perfumes etc.

- bottles of beer (some good french beers exist - I could dig out the name of my favourite bar à bières).

Best regards.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My favorite thing from Paris that I bought myself are my French house numbers, bought in a small Left Bank shop facing the river. Which reminds me, I must get a new set, having left the others when I moved.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Regarding the house numbers, they may be available at BHV:

http://www.bhv.fr/en/magasins/bhv-paris/
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:12 PM

I guess I am the only one who is unclear:

Will you be shopping for and purchasing these items in Paris and mailing them from Paris, or are you somewhere else and want recommendation for Paris-related items you can purchase and mail from where you are?
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are in LA for then next couple of months I'm guessing you are looking for French/Paris themed items in SoCal - right?

http://www.frenchgeneral.com/collect...ound-in-france
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
scented body lotion
milled soaps
hand towels
scarf with the subway map
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 01:48 PM

We looked for house numbers downstairs at BHV in November. We only needed 2 numbers, 1 and 8. It didn't matter which ones we looked at, those number were missing! Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. Ask if there were other in stock drawer, they looked - nope!
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 01:55 PM

"It didn't matter which ones we looked at, those number were missing!"

Well, drat! Guess I'll be looking for that nice little shop on the other side, somewhere around Shakespeare & Co. and I want to try their new cafe in any case.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 02:03 PM

We had originally commissioned a ceramist in Provence to make one for us. Gave her the order first week in October and by the time we left, 5 weeks later, it hadn't been made. Kiln issues or some such excuse. We really wanted that plaque...

I wish I knew about the shop by S & Co.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM

It was quite a long time ago and may no longer be there. Don't want to give anyone a bum steer. But I'll have a look in April and report back, if BHV is still out. I need a "1" also.

There are ceramic house numbers available in shops in Sorrento. Lemons, of course, but pretty. But then you need some way to hold them so mine remain in a drawer. I really like the French ones better anyway.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM

Fauchon selection of delectable tiny butter cookies in their signature fuschia and black hinged metal container, good for storing odds and ends after the goodies are gone, an iconic souvenir of Paris. My kids loved them.