Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to study film for a month in paris--can anyone help?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:55 PM
cinemaphile

I want to work through my University and design an independent study course about French Cinema--esp. New Wave. Since I will only have a month to visit, taking a class through a French University is out of the question. Can anyone suggest libraries, theaters, museums, etc. (in Paris only) that I could possibly incorporate into my study? I am a huge fan of Bresson, godard, et.al

Also, if anyone out there knows--where is Robert Bresson buried?

Thanks

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:43 AM
jw

Topping this for you, cinemaphile, because there are some knowledgeable people at this site who will probably have a suggestion or two if your thread stays near the top for a while. Good luck! J.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Louis

I don't know where Bresson's grave is, but if your are interested, François Truffaut is buried at Cimetière Montmartre (get a map at the entrance).

Regarding a seminar, perharps you could find something in "Les cahiers du cinéma"?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:12 AM
cinemaphile

Thanks to you both, jw and Louis. Help and advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:37 AM
Alice

According to www.findagrave.com (really!):
Bresson, Robert b. September 25, 1907 d. December 18, 1999
French director, screenwriter. Between 1934 and 1983 he directed 14 films, all of which he wrote the screenplay for. His most famous film was "Un condammne a mort s'est echappe" in 1956.
Unknown, Location of Body is Unknown

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:29 AM
cinemaphile

I guess I won't be visiting Bresson's grave...well, atleast not knowingfully!

Any other help?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:44 AM
Christina

Do you speak French fairly well and read it "fluently"? If not, I'm not quite sure what you'll be able to do regarding study and research, so I hope you do. I know someone quite well who studied film in Paris, but that was to learn a craft (production and cinematography)--I gather you aren't going to do that, as then you'd have to apply and go to a film school (the one I know is near metro Tolbiac and called EICAR).

There is the Henri Langlois Cinema Museum at 17, place du Trocadero, which is more history of film in general. That's been closed because of the fire there in 1997 (it was still closed when I was there last summer), but you should check that out, their phone no. used to be 1-40-22-09-79

The best place will be the main film library (Bibliotheque du Film) in the 12th arr. Their web site is www.bifi.fr You should be able to get a library card for research there, I've done that when studying in Paris temporarily (not that library, but other city libraries) and just needed my school ID card. The French libraries I've been in aren't that open to the public that you can just walk in and start getting a lot books off the shelf yourself, and I imagine that one really won't be.

There is a research center in the Pompidou Center (IRCAM) but that is for music and acoustiques so not sure if that would be appropriate; it might be if you were trying to learn about film-making in general and sound production or something, but not French New Wave, which sounds just like reading (and no doubt watching movies?).

One of the most famous old Art Deco theaters, the Rex in the 9th, has a good film library and periodic showings and events, you could see what's up there (www.legrandrex.com).

Here is a general rather complete French film site, there might be something on there www.lefilmfrancais.com The journal/revue Cahiers du Cinema might also be something you look at.

I think all of the above web sites are only in French, which is why I think you might have problems if you don't know French well, especially at French libraries, and I am not sure what to recommend in that case.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:17 AM
elvira

There is, of course, the Cinema Museum at the Trocadero.

It's not clear in the French reports where he's buried, but it appears Bresson is buried in Droue sur Drouette. Jean Cocteau is buried in Chapelle St Blaise (he decorated it) in Milly La Floret. Jean Renoir is buried in Essoyes Cemetery.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:41 PM
cinemaphile

Thanks to everyone for the input. Elvira, I appreciate the information about Bresson's burial site--that it something I definitely plan to see. Does anyone know of museums/theaters/film programs that cater expressly to French New Wave Cinema?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:14 PM
cinemaphile

ttt

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:47 PM
cecilia

You might try the summer/continuing ed program at the American University in Paris (www.aup.edu). I know they have a screenplay class but it lasts for a bit over a month (http://www.aup.edu/ce/screenwrite.htm).I am also trying to find a month-long class in Europe and have had some luck locating programs by searching on google for "study abroad" and "continuing education".