Want to stop for the night on drive from Menton to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering if my fellow Fodorites could provide some ideas on a charming place to stop for the night if you were driving from Menton (France) to Rome (then on to Positano).

Also, I would appreciate any advice on hotels that you might recommend for my parents at this stop, as well as 1 night in Rome heading down, and 2 nights on their return from Positano, keeping in mind that my dad is slow and tends to overheat!

Budget: probably in the $200 range (3 stars is fine); both enjoy interesting food and wine.

Thanks for the help!
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help you with the drive down, but I've heard from others on this board that the del Senato in Rome might fit the bill. We stayed at the Fontana, which is across from the Trevi Fountain, but that was 12 years ago when the fountain was undergoing restoration. The hotel itself was okay and had a great location, but needed serious updating -- the walls in the room were very dark.
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:43 AM

Surfergirl - For somewhere approximately midway (- I think ...) I'd suggest the Portofino Peninsular area (Santa Margherita Ligure, Camogli, Portofino ...) or alternatively the Cinque Terre (e.g. Vernazza).

If you prefer somewhere inland, I'd probably choose Lucca.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Steve for the suggestions. Are these towns (I'm thinking, in particular, Lucca) easily accessible by car? Also, any suggestions for a hotel?

Much appreciated.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:47 AM

I've only ever trained into Lucca, but it's easy enough by car. Can't help you with a hotel I'm afraid. I suggest you post a new question on this, I'm sure you'll get good leads ...

Steve
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:29 AM

I agree--Lucca is your best option. It is just off the autostrada and is a lovely city, but it is not easy to park.
Go to www.knowital.com and find hotel options. The Villa Romantica is a B&B just outside the walls--the Piccolo Puccini is good value in town--the Palazzo Alexander is more upscale.