Notices

Want To Stay In Only 2 Places

Mar 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Want To Stay In Only 2 Places

We will be in Switzerland a total of 51/2 days arriving in Zurich midday. I am really stumped at how to get both a mountain experience and a beautiful lake and small village experience in that amount of time.I think it would be best to stay in just 2 spots...Obviously Zurich would be one and I was thinking Lucerne the second as we can get back to the airport in good time on the last day for a midday flight to the USA.

Can anyone suggest day trips that would allow us to see wonderful mountain vistas from these two cities? A day trip would probably be 2-3 hours on the train. Not the 12 hours some of these companies advertise.

The Bernese Oberland seems like it is way too far for a day trip..but any other mountains that would satisfy mountain lovers from these two bases?

I would appreciate just simplifying this trip..I have always gotten wonderful advise on this forum.

Thanks!
Mar 15th, 2011, 05:19 AM

Hello MyBailey

"I am really stumped at how to get both a mountain experience and a beautiful lake and small village experience..."

"Obviously Zurich would be one..."

Zurich is neither.

For your small village/mountain experience combo package , I would suggest 3 nights in either Muerren or Wengen.

For your beautiful lake experience, 2 nights in Luzern.

Happy travels!
Mar 15th, 2011, 06:32 AM

I agree---forget Zurich---Luzern is only 1:20 direct to the Zurich airport. I suggest Wengen and Luzern.
Mar 15th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Hi MyBailey,

How about Spiez or Thun, both larger towns on Lake Thun? Or a smaller town such as Oberhofen, Iseltwald, Gunten, Merligen, Gwatt, etc? Stay on Lake Thun for three nights then spend one night in Luzern.

s

Search this Thread