Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to Go Via Paris to UK but no more direct flights - please ad vise my alternatives!

Search

Want to Go Via Paris to UK but no more direct flights - please ad vise my alternatives!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am devistated to learn that from November we cannot fly direct to CDG. Alternatives offered are Heathrow, Frankfurt or Munich. Was hoping to go to UK via Paris!
I have been to Frankfurt but never to Munich so what do you suggest as an altenative?
Connecting to UK by train - could this be costly? Recently have been put off flying direct to Heathrow by other posters so this may be the time to look elsewhere!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

You can get to Paris by train from all of those places - fronm London is easiest - it'll cost about £50 one way if you book in advance.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks Audere - I really wanted to go to Paris on the way to or from the UK.
What I'm trying to find out is whether there is anything to attract me going via Germany to Paris then on to UK?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM

MAybe I'm missing something but where are you flying from?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM

try thalys.com or voyages-sncf.com
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM

TGV from Stuttgart to Paris takes 3.5h and will cost 39€ if you book early.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
ira

Hi tod,

Will you spend a couple of days getting from your arrival airport to Paris, or do you want to just connect?

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
tod
Original Poster

Sorry Jody - We are flying from South Africa.

Hi Ira,
The plan is to spend some time in Paris either to or from or both! I was so shocked to learn today that we can only go direct to UK or do the Germany alternatives.
Trying my best to make it a round trip - I hate doubling back!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Try open jaw ticket --- if I understand what you are trying to do.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I think the issue is wanting a nonstop flight to Europe, and the only options are Germany or London. It sounds like the return flight isn't as big an issue (not really sure, either).

I think the easiest option would be to fly into Heathrow, spend some time in London if you wish, and then take the train to Paris, which is quick. The train is longer to Paris from either Frankfurt or Munich. Munich seems pretty out-of-the-way if the main goal is really to get to Paris.

The train between London and Paris can be costly, sometimes not too bad. But it won't be real cheap getting by train to Paris from Germany, either.

I'm not really sure the question. If you can get to Paris via Frankfurt or Munich, but must transfer to another short flight at those airports, I would do that rather than transferring to another flight at Heathrow. I haven't transferred at either of those German airports, so don't know the advantages, comparatively. But others probably will.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, greatly appreciated.
We would not like to take a connecting flight to Paris if we land at Munich or Frankfurt, only a train connection.
Because of all the bad press about Heathrow and lost luggage I am considering the alternatives.

It would also be a different experience instead of the usual JHB International-Heathrow connection and then by Eurostar to Paris which we have done numerous times.
Maybe in the end the alternatives may not be worth it.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM

<<< Because of all the bad press about Heathrow and lost luggage I am considering the alternatives. >>>

The luggage problem only apply if you are on connecting flights through LHR so if you are going to London you shouldn't have any problems.

I wouldn't fly from Heathrow because of a) departure taxes & b) the one bag rule
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:30 AM
ira

Hi tod,

You can find the trains from Munich and Frankfurt to Paris at www.bahn.de.

From Munich, it is over 7 hr and, except for the night train, requires at least one change. About 140E.

From Frankfurt, it's only about 4 hr and you can find reduced fares of about 40E.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks Ira - As always your input is of great value.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I think Munich is a more interesting city to visit for a tourist, but definitely not as convenient to go to Paris by train from there.

If you just want to do something different, you could go by train direct from Frankfurt to Brussels, spend a day or so, and then take the high-speed train from there to Paris in only about 1.5 hours. I enjoyed Brussels for a day.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
ira

YAW, tod