Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to do something memorable in while in England.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am takeing a school trip to England. We are sponsered by ACIS, but we are given some time to ourself to explore. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We will be in the London area as well as the stratford area. Thank you.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Somthing memorable..hmmm how about running naked in the rain.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Get tickets to enter the Queen of England's palace in London, Buckingham Palace. Advanced booking is required though, and let all of those people watching the palace from outside eat their hearts out! It will definitely be very memorable since we Americans only hear about these palaces in fairytales!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Without knowing what you will be seeing and doing, it is hard to make suggestions. Can you give us an idea of your itinerary and interests? You might check the Fodor's destination guide on this site or pick up a guidebook to see what might interest you. If you are free in the evening, you might try and catch a play. Afternoon tea is fun, strolling across Tower Bridge, etc.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:50 AM

How old are you? You say school but I know that in the States that can also refer to college/university years.

From your name, I'd suggest that you start by taking in a Premiership football match (and without going back to the arguments in which I've participated TOO many times, you will win brownie points over here if you say football rather than soccer!!)
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Climb all the way to the top of St. Pauls!!! The view is terrific and the last few stairs are the most difficult because of shortage of space let alone breathe!! It will take them at least an hour or more....and coming down is not easy either. At least get to the whispering gallery and let them play!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

I am 17 and in High School. This link is of the trip I am takeing. http://www.acis.com/trips/tripfound.asp?Code=LAS
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM

It looks like you have several afternoon/evenings free in London...

Your itenerary does not seem to include the Tower of London; if not, I would put it near the top of my list. Also, there is a nightly ceremony locking the Tower's gates that requires advanced (free) tickets. Really cool...email me if you need details on how to attend.

The Science Museum in London is a very interactive, hands-on museum. My son (who is also 17) really enjoyed it. Free admission too. The Museum of London is also pretty neat.

Don't see the London Eye on your trip. This is a huge ferris wheel; takes 45 minutes to ride, great views of London. (not free).

Also not free, but right near the London Eye, is the Frog Tour: ride an amphibious boat/bus on the Thames and through the streets of downtown.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

David White
[email protected]