Reload this Page >

Want to attend church service in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 04:34 PM
bkpick

Our family will be in London in December and would like to attend a regular church service while we are there. Can anyone give us any clue on Evangelical churches in the Pimlico area? Thank you.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 05:38 PM
uncle sam

bkpick,<BR><BR>Haven't been to a regular church service in London but I have been to evensong at Westmister Abbey. As I recall they are held daily around 5 PM. <BR><BR>Although I'm a Southern Baptist, which certainly fits the evangelical category, I found the service to be most beneficial. <BR><BR>A great way to break up the hectic day of sight seeing and a great way to take a few minutes and reflect upon God's blessings.<BR><BR>Great atmosphere as well!<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 05:45 PM
tom

A church that many visitors head for is All Souls, in the West End, near Oxford Circus. See www.allsouls.org for info. It tends to be packed, though, so arrive early.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
uncle sam

I just went to their website. That looks like a very good church.<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:51 PM
bkpick

Tom &amp; Uncle Sam, Thanks for the information. We will probably check one or both of those out unless we find a smaller church closer to where we are staying. Evensong sounds like a good idea after a busy day and any church that has John Stott filling in from time to time sounds very interesting. I've read some of his books. Like I said, though, we might opt for something smaller.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 07:48 PM
ELEANOR

Hey Uncle Sam, thank you also for this information, I am leaving for London, Saturday the 23 and will be flying at night, Virgin Atlantic fly's night time so i will be very tired when I get there, up all day Saturday and up all day Sunday so church will be a wonderful place to unwind. I never miss church in the states as i love my church here.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 07:50 PM
uncle sam

Eleanor,<BR><BR>You're welcome, all in all not a bad way to end a Sunday!<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Keith

I went to evensong at Westminster Abbey and choral Eucharist at St. Martin in the Fields. Enjoyed the later much more. There was no congregational singing at the evensong, and SMitF was more intimate.<BR><BR>Though it was quite a shock walking out of that peaceful moment into the heart of London at 1PM.<BR><BR>SMitF also has a nice restaurant in the crypt beneath the church.<BR><BR> Keith<BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Alec

I suggest you try Westminster Chapel in Buckingham Gate, near St James' Park tube station (it's signposted from there). From Pimlico, it's about 15-20 min walk. It's a big evangelical church with very active ministry. Their website is http://www.westminsterchapel.org.uk/home.htm

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
sonia

I second the vote for All Souls. Especially if you're there when John Stott will be preaching (they post that on their Web site.)<BR><BR>Don't know anywhere specific in the Pimlico area (are you staying at Dolphin Square?) If you want a really interesting experience, try St Helens Bishopsgate. An old Norman church in the heart of the financial district (Liverpool St tube station). The welcome is warm, a family setting with folks from all over the area, and the teaching excellent. It's an Anglican church, but not like any I have experienced! Their history is very interesting -- suffered heavy damage when IRA bombed the Bank of London.<BR><BR>It's also interesting to go to Holy Trinity Brompton, where the Alpha program was created. Different kind of Anglican again, 5 services on Sundays. Evening is informal, young crowd. The church is next to/behind Brompton Oratory (famous RC church) and close to the V&amp;A -- nearest tube is S. Kensington or Knightsbridge.<BR><BR>We always try to find a church when we're travelling. Have had many interesting encounters, and learned much in many parts of the world.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:46 AM
barbara

Will be staying in Mayfair and would like to attend Anglican service with traditional liturgy but with active thriving congregation. Do not want to go to a &quot;tourist&quot; church that feels more like a performance than a real service. Like the All Souls suggestion, John Stott is very well known among Christians in the states. Is that far from Mayfair area? Any other suggestions?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:15 PM
tom

I don't think of All Souls as having the traditional liturgy, though they had a reading of the Banns when I was there (the traditional four weeks of announcement before a marriage). It is a very central location, just two blocks off Oxford street (lots of busses and a tube stop).

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Maggie

I agree with All Souls church. Even though it's Anglican, it is an evangelical church. I've had British friends recommend it to me.<BR><BR>http://www.allsouls.org/

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Ben Haines

For Barbara: St George?s Hanover Square might suit you. The web site is http://www.stgeorgeshanoversquare.org/index.htm. I see from the services list that their spoken Eucharists follow the Book of Common Prayer, but am not clear about their big Sunday Eucharists: you could phone the prebendary to ask.<BR><BR>All Souls Langham Place was well chosen for thev first enquirer, a church full of life in the Evangelical tradition, about a kmile from Mayfair, but I am pretty sure without the Book of Common Prayer.<BR><BR>Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Audrey

Check out Holy Trinity Brompton http://www.htb.org.uk/. Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Audrey

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband and I are planning a trip to London in fall of 2004 and would like to attend church on the Sunday we will be there. We are Baptist and do not recall seeing any Baptist churches in London. We were not there on a Sunday and didn't really look for any. I love all of the beautiful churches but would like to at least make an attempt to go to a church of our faith. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM

A google search - &quot;baptist churches in london&quot; - provided this website;

http://www.londonbaptist.org.uk/lbawwwlo.htm

If you do the same search you will get many hits.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:30 PM

Maids of Honor ..not waiting!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Sorry wrong post!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 02:29 AM

The site www.ichthus.org.uk/Ichthus%20Link.htm shows evangelical churches. Pimlico is a SW postcode, so All Nations Baptist Church, London SW12, over the river, might suit you. They are listed at web site at www.balham.com/pages/worship.htm/. As has been said, Holy Trinity Brompton is near Pimlico, and is a successful evangelical church, busy with a mission to London and to England www.htb.org.uk/

Also, you might like to rest your feet at midday and enjoy the sight of the money-spinners of the city pausing to celebrate the babe in the manger, at a lunch time Christmas concert or service. Here are some selections, not especially near Pimlico, but all of them easy by tube. I have thrown in a couple of celebrations in Shoreditch, too. To readers who want the evening events also I can e-mail the whole list.

Monday 15 December. 12noon. Barclays Bank Carol Service. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube

1pm. Parish Festival of Lessons &amp; Carols. St Michael Cornhill. Bank tube

Monday 15 December. 5.30. Community carols, with pupils from three East London primary schools and the Canonbury Chamber Choir. Family event. Shoreditch Church. Liverpool Street tube
Tuesday 16 December. 12.45. Cathedral Sing-in for office workers and the local community. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube
Tuesday 16 December. 1pm. Concert Catherine Ennis (Organ) and the Choir with Carols and Readings. St Lawrence Jewry. Bank tube

Wednesday 17 December. 12noon. Financial Times Carol Service. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube

Thursday 18 December. 12 noon. ANZ Bank Carol Service. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube
1.10 The Lothbury Singers Traditional Christmas Concert. St Margaret Lothbury. Bank tube

Friday 19 December. 12.15. PricewaterhouseCoopers Carol Service. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube

5.30. Christmas Service (in the presence of the Lord Mayor) St Lawrence Jewry. Bank tube

6.30. Parish Carol Service St Vedast Foster Lane. St Pauls tube

7pm. Hallelujah! London Adventist Chorale. Ken Burton director
Hallelujah Medley: Gary Hines Hallelujah, Lord, Robert Ray Acclamation - Alleluia, from Gospel Mass and Eurydice Osterman Alleluia
The Virgin Mary had a baby boy, Sweet little Jesus boy, Joy to the world,
I can tell the world, The peace that Jesus gives, A great and mighty wonder
O give thanks unto the Lord, When Jesus was a tiny baby, And his name shall be called, Praise the Lord, Oh my soul, Star of night, Jesus is a rock
Shoreditch Church. Liverpool Street tube

Saturday 20 December. 1pm. Family Carols : A celebration of the Christmas story for all ages with the Cambridge Chorale and Cantate Youth Choir. St Paul s cathedral

6.30. Service of lessons and carols for Christmas. This service is not designed for children. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube

Monday 22 December. 1.10. Rejoice Greatly. Music and readings for the Advent of Christmas. St Anne and St Agnes. St Pauls tube

Wednesday 24 December. 4pm. Building the Crib service, suitable for children. Southwark Cathedral. London Bridge tube.

Please write if I can help further. welcome to London.

[email protected]