Want recoomendation/comments re a hotel near Paddington Station

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want recoomendation/comments re a hotel near Paddington Station

We will be in London 4 nights (9/16-9/20), have an
early am flight out of Heathrow, and are looking for
a double room with private bath in Paddington withing walking distance of the Heathrow Express.

I just tried to make a reservation at the Balmoral House Hotel and was advised all double rooms are
booked for the above dates.

I am looking for a room in the 60-70 pound range
and am considering the Europa House (151 Sussex
Gardens).

Will appreciate any comments on the Europa House
or recommendations for an alternative B&B within
walking distance of the Paddington Express.
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:17 AM

Following a suggestion from here, I've taken to using the Quality Hotel at Paddington. It's less than 5 minutes walk from the station, in your price range, and perfectly acceptable
Old May 18th, 2003, 02:35 AM

£60-70 is not much for London.

What about staying in Heathrow? I can tell you the hotels are empty there at the moment. The cheapest airport hotel is the IBIS- see how mcuh it is then see if you can get a better hotel on priceline for same £££.

There's also an IBIS at Euston- a 10 min cab ride at that time of the morning. Otherwise there are good quality budget chain hotels such as the Travel Inn at County Hall opposite Big Ben- though slightly over your budget:

http://www.travelinn.co.uk/TI/index....inn&id=128

Remember going on the Heathrow Express, you are spending £24 (£12 per single x2 people)- you could economise and get the tube and spend more for a better hotel.

A lot of the smaller hotels around Paddington are dingy and might not be too nice to walk around at night. Though Quality Inn sounds fine to me.
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:40 AM

Hello, I have another suggestion. We had a 7am flight out of Heathrow in Feb. We were staying at Copthorne Tara Hotel, Kensington High street, because we got it for $68 per night on Priceline. We booked Swiss Cottage cars for 28.50gbp to pick us up and take us to Heathrow. It was so much easier being picked up at the door and dropped off at the door. Since it was early morning there was no traffic and a breeze to get there. You might try priceline and snag a cheap hotel and you can then easily afford the car service which is not much more than 2 people on the Heathrow Express. I recently got Copthorne Tara again, a single this time, for $60 per night. I was very happy with my stay there. By the way, Balmoral House is my favorite B&B in London but even it cannot beat Priceline especially with the weak dollar. You can do a search for car service and pull up a thread giving the phone number for Swiss. I called them from US and they advised I wait until arriving in London to book the outward portion of my travel (they picked us up on arrival to Heathrow very efficiently also). They are open 24 hours and I had no problem booking the car a couple of days before we left.
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I definitely agree w/ ggnga. Why stay near Paddington (not a really bad area but not terrific either) just so you will be close to the train. Early in the morning you can either take a car service or mini cab to LHR - OR - take a black cab to Paddington if you really want to take the train.

Early AM traffic is not bad at all so the car service is a wonderful idea - and a regular cab to the station is easy in the early AM too.