Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Want Adventurous Trip to Italy/France/Switz. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/want-adventurous-trip-to-italy-france-switz-607205/)

sportzgal3 Apr 12th, 2006 07:41 AM

Want Adventurous Trip to Italy/France/Switz.

Hi, my boyfriend and I are going to Italy and France (maybe switzerland and southern germany too) for 2 weeks. We want to do lots of adventurous things like biking/hiking/beaches. Any suggestions as to places to make sure we stop and do things?

nytraveler Apr 12th, 2006 11:19 AM

Well in two weeks you can't do four countries - or even parts of four countries. And I'm not sure that biking, hiking or beaches are adventurous - I thought you wanted to climb Mt. Blanc or spelunk or skydive or something.

You can hike and bike almost anywhere - but to go to the beach you obviously need the sea. So - I would start by picking a beach area - what time of year are you going, what is your budget and do you need sand beaches or are pebble beaches OK (many in europe are pebbles).

That info will help people reco beaches and you can add on from there. (Some places in southern France have sand beaches and some in Spain - you can easily add hiking and biking on the Riviera - but again - your time of year and budget matter.)

If you want to do 2 countries you could spend some time on the Riviera and then head north into the French/Swiss Alps for hiking and biking - but there are dozens of options.

give us a little more info.

Intrepid1 Apr 12th, 2006 11:25 AM

Regardless of how many places you go given your desires I would strongly consider the possibility of an open jaw air itinerary to and from.

nessundorma Apr 12th, 2006 12:21 PM

For Italy, you should read up on Lago di Garda, which is much prized for its biking, hiking and windsurfing (at the northern end).

You could also check into the scuba diving possibilties in Camogli (Italy).

You can find out about these things on the Internet.

bellacqui May 20th, 2006 11:01 PM

I would consider Piemonte in Northern Italy for incredibly challenging mountain biking (inclines of 8 -15 percent are the norm, with heights of 300-1000 meters), and incredible scenery (sloping wine hills surrounded by the Alps), wine and food in the process. In addition, you could then head over to the Ligurian coast, and, as Nessundorma suggests, look in to scuba diving in Camogli.

Many of our guests are mountain bikers who do things like Alp crossings, this is why I suggest Piemonte, as they tell me that here is where you find some of the most challenging and interesting terrain.

Diana

rex May 20th, 2006 11:43 PM

<< ...in two weeks you can't do four countries - or even parts of four countries... >>

What a silly thing to say... you can visit four countries in four days, and do something fun and exhilarating in each one of them, if you choose correctly and plan well. And "biking/hiking/beaches" can be as adventurous as one wants.

The sport of "setting people staight" can be akin to the Washingtonian "politics of personal destruction". Listen not, to this unnecessary naysaying, sportzgal...

I'd recommend flying into Nice and returning from Venice, Salzburg or Munich.

Specific advice would be best given if you tell us what season. An open jaw itinerary is a good idea, as is the advice to visit the iedmont.

Lake Garda, too.

Best wishes,

Rex

rex May 20th, 2006 11:44 PM

Whoops... <b>P</b>iedmont, of course..

walkinaround May 21st, 2006 12:00 AM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
The sport of &quot;setting people staight....&quot;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

I agree rex. you kind of know what's coming when a post begins with &quot;Well...&quot;.

suze May 21st, 2006 08:08 AM

Well for hiking I think Switzerland, but obviously no ocean/beaches there. Although some lovely lakes. I've seen hang-gliding being done (Lac Leman area outside Geneva).

While certainly you can hit 4 countries in 2 weeks, I think your planning would be easier and trip more fulfilling if you focused on a couple areas that seem to offer the most of what you are looking for...

Maybe the south of France and crossing into Switzerland could give you a combination of beaches and mountains?

suze May 21st, 2006 08:08 AM

Oops, i didn't notice this post is from last month.