Reload this Page >

Walled city/town in Europe suggestion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Judy

Walled city/town is always as fascinating as the fairy tales of kings,knights and casles in medieval time. I always try to visit them whenever possible.<BR><BR>So far I have been to: U.K.:York, Chester,Conwy,Caernarfon,Canterbury(only partial);Francet.Malo,Carcassonne,Avignon: Italyena,Lucca; Spain:Avila.<BR><BR>I have just walked the whole length of 13.6km on top of a seven centuries wall,but it is in different continent.<BR><BR>Could you suggest anyother?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:07 PM
StCirq

In the SW of France, besides Carcassonne there are also Domme, Cordes-sur-Ciel, Castelnau-de-Montmiral, and further east in the Languedoc-Roussillon is Aigues-Mortes.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:51 PM
John

Mentioned by StCirq, Aigues Mortes has, I believe, the largest original wall structure left in Europe ("original" is important - some places, like Carcassone, are actually partly re-creations of old walls or inventions from the 19th C.) Aigues Mortes is a dynamite place - try it off-season.<BR><BR>Not Europe, and you may want to wait for quieter times, but a walk along the top of the wall around the Old City of Jerusalem can be a life-changing experience.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:53 PM
jw

Rothenburg, Germany<BR>Murten, Switzerland

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:54 PM
bettyk

Lucerne, Switzerland, still has part of its old wall and several towers remaining ("Musegg").

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Wayne

All those are good suggestions, but for pure enjoyment (and a bit of exercise) along with beautiful views, you should walk the walls around Dubrovnik. Incredible experience, incredible scenery, beautiful town. In travels all over Europe, I haven't found anything to equal Dubrovnik's walls.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Provins, France -- I'm guessing 1.5 hours east of Paris -- will take you back to those medieval times, too. It's worth a look.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:14 PM
sightseer

Heidelberg, Germany <BR><BR>Not in Europe, but Xi'an China is a walled city and is home to the famous Terra Cotta Warriors.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Judy

Thank you all.<BR><BR>Any other suggestion?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Ralf

Nordlingen, Germany

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Sue

The old town section of Briancon, in the Hautes Alpes of France; Perouges, 20 mi. north of Lyon; Castelnou, near Perpignan,in sw France.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Sue

Just thinking, isn't there a wall around the old section of Innsbruck, also?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:46 PM
mh

Luxumburg City, Luxemburg. The old town has a really neat old wall that is now part of a very large park. I love this city and am glad that I live an hour away. It is a place to consider.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Daniel

Visby on the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea. It is one of the oldest towns in Sweden, with a 2 miles long wall.<BR><BR>The old centre of the Estonian capital of Tallinn is also walled, but not completely.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Ben Haines

I can add fairly complete walls at Torun in Poland, Levoca in Slovakia, Sopron in Hungary, and Sighisoara in Romania.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:03 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Berwick on Tweed has nearly intact walls.<BR>Historically it has been both English and Scottish.<BR><BR>The walls at Aigues Mortes (in Languedoc) are intact. It was the departure point for some of the crusades. Its preservation makes it popular as a film location.<BR><BR>Carcassonne is partly a recent renovation / reconstruction in the style of different periods.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Keith

I may be wrong, but I think that Londonderry (or Derry) in Northern Ireland has walls. Not sure what it was for historically, but sadly now is more of a symbol of moronic sectarianism than anything else.<BR><BR>There are a lot of cities which were walled and have only bits left. A good example of this is St Andrews in Scotland, where the only remaining part of the wall is the West Port at the end of South Street. Dundee also had a wall, but the only sign that there was ever one there is the West Port Roundabout near the University.<BR><BR>London was also walled - hence the street name "London Wall." Again, much of it is buried, but I think (though don't quote me on this) that you can see parts of it in certain places in the modern City.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Tony Hughes

Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Tauber being the river) in Germany. Fascinating. And not anywhere near London, either.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Sjoerd

Naarden Vesting in the Netherlands. <BR>http://www.walledtowns.com/wtfc/town...s/naarden.html

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Judy

I have forgetten the Ville Close in Concarneau,France.<BR><BR>So many places,so little time.<BR><BR>More suggestion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -