Walks around Positano / Amalfi

Old Apr 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walks around Positano / Amalfi

I’m staying in Sorrento for a week from Fri 29th May. I’m thinking of spending one day around Positano, and another day around Amalfi, so I’m just looking at possible shortish walks/add-ons to do from these places, to make a day of it in each place.

From Positano I’ve seen that you can get a bus upto Montepertuso then walk back down to Positano (or continue a bit further to Nocelle, and walk back down via Montepertuso). Is this a good idea? Is this bus likely to be very crowded/twisty like a lot of the local bus journeys seem to be described as!

From Amalfi I thought of maybe doing the open top tourist bus up to Ravello and walking back down via Atrani.

With both of these walks, are they easy to find the way back down – are there maps available from the tourist office showing these routes?
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 11:02 AM

Yes on tourist office maps, but I suggest also taking a look at the two books that feature all of the hikes in the area--one published by Sunflower and the other by Cicerone.

The walk down from Ravello to Atrani was pretty straightforward, but frankly it was not terribly scenic. I am sure it will beat the bus though .
Minori/Maiori to Ravello was better. The path of the mills walk out of Amalfi was very nice on a hot day--much of it is shaded.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 12:49 PM

I loved the walk up thru a lush ravine with orchards from Amalfi to Ravello - but rather steep hear the top with steps as I recall and then took a different way back - zigzagging down thru vienyards with the sea in full view the whole way and locals tending to the vines.

Both were great walks - the zigzagging thru the vineyards wa on paced lanes for folks tending the grapes and their small tractors.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 02:50 PM

Try the Valley of the Fairies - some information is here
http://talktraveltome.com/our-top-5-...-amalfi-coast/

Also, the little HoHo bus only stops at Positano and Amalfi - then it turns around and returns. To get to Ravello you would need to take a local bus.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 04:20 PM

In 2010 I took a red sightseeing open top bus from Amalfi up to Ravello (there was a 'regular' bus strike that day so we took that one). Not sure if it still goes that route, but it did then.

We then did the walk down from Ravello to Atrani/Amalfi. It took about an hour, was mostly shady, and had great views (though not as great as the the views from up in Ravello itself, especially from the two villas. I am very glad I was not walking UP that route.

Here's my trip report, I mention a few walks we did (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm). I've been back again twice in the last year (July 2014 and just last month) but the walks we did on the first trip were the best.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 04:26 PM
kja

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk from Ravello to Amalfi, but there was one place where I got badly lost. I think it may have been in Pontone (but I can't be sure -- sorry!), where I turned left before I should have. FWIW, taking the correct path meant going further than I had done and following the road to the left, where there was a sign. As I recall, I turned sooner, at a small chapel.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear some of you have walked down to Amalfi from Ravello and enjoyed it. I'm just trying to avoid too many buses to get to/from places (not a fan of twisty roads!). So one journey upto Ravello, then walking back to Amalfi sounds OK.

Has anyone got any comments about the plan to go from Positano to Montepertuso or Nocelle, then walking back down?
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 04:39 AM
WWK

There used to be a hiking path near or in back of the church Santa Maria Delle Grazie in Montepertuso that took you down to Positano. I have no idea if this path still exists.

For a beautiful more casual walk, take the seaside path that begins near the town dock in Positano to Fornillo Beach. It's fairly short - about a mile maybe less- but one of the most gorgeous walks for water views.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
ekc

And if you are trying to avoid buses, get the ferry schedules - the best way to see the AC IMO.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes I thought of probably getting the ferry both days to Positano and Amalfi, then doing these shorter bus journeys / walks back down to the towns, then the ferry back to Sorrento at the end of each day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 12:40 PM
ekc

Good plan, but watch the ferry schedule. I believe last year the last ferry going back to Sorrento from Positano left at 4:30. But I could be wrong - just be sure to check when you are there. They haven't posted the Sorrento ferry schedule yet.