Walking Tours Rome, Venice, Florence, Pompeii, Vatican City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year my wife and our adult daughter and her husband went to Normandy and Paris and had great walking tours in Paris and a car tour of Normandy. This year were heading to Italy and have begun looking for tours. The only ones I have found seem very touristy and range from $89-$130 per person. Does anyone know a better alternative?
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM

We almost always go through the local TI for walking tours.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM

We have taken tours of Pompeii and the Vatican only. The others we have done on our own. Neither tour was "touristy" at all. Search this board for suggestions, entering "walking tour Venice", etc., in the search box. We found our tour guide for the Vatican on this board and found our guide for Pompeii in the ticket office area at Pompeii Scavi. Both were great and considerably less than the prices you quote.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks good advice.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM

<< Does anyone know a better alternative? >>

You haven't said what tours you looked at so it's difficult to give you an alternative. There are many tour companies for these cities/places. I'm also confused about your "very touristy" comment as most city tours are geared for tourists and will show you the most "touristy" sights. If you want something off the beaten track you need to hire a private guide who will tailor an itinerary for you. There's a thread on this board for Rome private guides.

In Pompeii you can get a guide at the entrance or rent audio guides. Or you can book a full day bus tour to Pompeii from Rome.

In Rome, Enjoy Rome has reasonably priced walks.
http://www.enjoyrome.com/walking/index.html

You can always get a guide book from the library and see all the walking tour options for each city. Let's Go and Rick Steves gives recommendations for budget-priced tours.

It doesn't appear that VBT does any city walks in Italy so I'm not sure why tobarski recommended this company.