Walking Tours of Venice

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Stan Riddle

Walking Tours of Venice

Does anyone know of walking tours of venice. We found plenty in Rome on the internet at very reasonable prices but have turned up a blank on Venice. WHat about Florence. I only found one that was reasonable.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Kay

Sorry Stan, can't help but would love to know the answer. Also day trips from Venice to the Dolomites - too early around Easter time?

Anyone?
Kay

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:15 PM
David

two years ago my wife and I went on an excellent walking tour run by American Express in Venice. Hope this helps.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:21 AM
James L

See http://www.walksinsidevenice.com Expensive but quality is reputedly high. We're going to be in Venice from June 14th through the 23rd and are looking for folks interested in cost-sharing. Email me if that's you.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:54 AM
christi

Hi--My husband and I love walking tours but the American Express tour was awful, all they did was take us to two museums. Not exactly what I would call a walking tour! Get a good guidebook and just do it yourself. Have fun!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Steve James

Kay - No reason why Easter would be too early for a day-trip to the Dolomites, - they're even more spectacular in winter than summer!

Steve

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:17 AM
elaine

A company that provides daytrip tours in vans with no more than 8 passengers: Avventure Bellissime, via Villanova 27, Pordenone 33170 phone 0039 0434 573275 Fax (0039) 0434 510616Email - [email protected] This company was recommended by a reader in International Travel News Feb 2001 They have a 3-day walking tour of the Dolomites, a one-day Hills of Veneto Tour, and a one-day Villas of Palladio tour. Don't know if htey have a shorter trip to the Dolomites.They provide a good picnic lunch and tours are conducted in English.
Enjoy Venice (tel: (06) 445 0734; web site: Walking www.enjoyvenice.com organizes English-speaking tours around the city. Tours meet outside Thomas Cook, near the Rialto Bridge on the Grand Canal, every day except Sunday at 1000. Tours take roughly three hours. No reservations are required
www.walksinsidevenice.com, email [email protected] for small groups, charge by the hour, most tours about 3 hours. They have set itineraries, or they will design a tour for you
also www.venicescapes.org (tours are oriented toward history and culture, unusual topics, quite expensive I'm told)

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Kay

To Steve - can you recommend a place/area in the Dolomites to head to by train or bus that isn't too far away? Couple of places I looked at (like Cortina) were 3 hours each way, too far for a day trip.
We like mountain scenery, walking and pretty towns/villages, prefer visiting a small town to a large city. Any ideas?
Thanks, Kay

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Steve James

Kay - If you think Cortina's too far, I'd suggest taking the train to Pieve di Cadore (Titian's birthplace), which is effectively the 'gateway to the Dolomites'. This is 2.5 hours by train from Venice Mestre (there's a direct train at 07.52 arriving at Pieve 10.21). This would certainly give you a good 'feel' for this beautiful area.

But really to see some of the most stupendous scenery I'd strongly reccommend Cortina. It'd be worth the effort, believe me. Although I've never used it, I believe there's a direct coach service between Venice and Cortina, which may well be worth checking out.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Kay

Thanks Steve, that's very helpful. Venice is at the end of the trip so a lot depends on if we feel like adding yet more travel to our trip! If not, the next holiday might be Switzerland and northern Italy....
Kay

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
zz-top

Took one of the AMEX 1/2 day tours in Venice, with primary focus on St. Mark's Square & Doges Palace. Thought it was so-so, nothing special (not the sites, mind you, rather quality of the guide).