Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   walking over the Gotthard tunnel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/walking-over-the-gotthard-tunnel-1084904/)

WeisserTee Jan 28th, 2016 02:42 AM

walking over the Gotthard tunnel

Most travelers to/in Switzerland are familiar with the Gotthard tunnel, the world's longest rail tunnel. But this photo essay shows what it's like taking the scenic route over the tunnel. A nice mix of photos, videos, text and even 360 degree photos.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/longform/gotthard

Dukey1 Jan 28th, 2016 04:06 AM

The Seikan is actually the world's longest and I know how much you value accuracy and thank you for this post nonetheless.

nytraveler Jan 28th, 2016 04:40 AM

Can't get this video to work. Is this a walk through the train tunnel and isn;t that dangerous? Or is this a walk over the pass?

WeisserTee Jan 28th, 2016 05:28 AM

Dukey1, you can take your argument to the article's authors (did you actually look at the story?):
"The Gotthard base railway tunnel, the longest and deepest in the world, will be inaugurated at the beginning of June 2016."

nytraveler, yes, it's a walk over. See again the title of the thread. Dont' know why you're having trouble opening the link. Works fine for me in Chrome.

nytraveler Jan 28th, 2016 08:31 AM

Well I'm in Chrome too and I just get the interminable circle. Doesn't really matter - it sounds like you're saying they are walking through the tunnel (not over the mountain).

WeisserTee Jan 28th, 2016 10:01 AM

No, they are walking OVER the massif above the tunnel. Read the post title. You are the only one who says through.

Betsy Jan 28th, 2016 11:38 AM

I'm on Chrome. No problem with the site. Reboot? Clear cache and cookies?

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2016 02:23 PM

"The Gotthard base railway tunnel, the longest and deepest in the world, will be inaugurated at the beginning of June 2016.">

Dukey - currently you could say the world's longest in use tunnel by trains or vehicles it is perhaps but as of June this year that would be the new Gotthard Base Tunnel - the world's longest tunnel is probably some London Tube tunnel or some sewage tunnel, etc.

Vehicular tunnel I guess or train tunnel.

Wow starting this June the main rail line Zurich-Italy will be mainly in tunnel under the Alps - a passenger could travel between Zurich and Italy and see nary a high Alp - butg of course much faster - I suppose the old railway route and tunnel will be like in the Lotschberg case still used by regional trains?

kleeblatt Jan 28th, 2016 11:15 PM

PalenQ: Regarding the old railway route, that's the plan. We still need trains that stop at villages or for tourists who'd like to enjoy the view. Personally, I'm excited that it will take only 2 1/2 hours for me to reach Milano instead of 3 1/2. Rome is only 5h 30 minutes away as of next fall!

kleeblatt Jan 28th, 2016 11:20 PM

Walking / cycling / motorbiking / driving over the Gotthard:

Thanks for the link, Weissertee. It works for me.

PalenQ Jan 29th, 2016 08:09 AM

Personally, I'm excited that it will take only 2 1/2 hours for me to reach Milano instead of 3 1/2. Rome is only 5h 30 minutes away as of next fall!>

Let's hope that the Italian Railways agree to thru services say Zurich to Florence, Venice and Rome and not just Milan.

neckervd Jan 30th, 2016 05:23 AM

The classic and well known walk over the Gotthard Pass presented by Swissinfo has absolutely nothing to do with a walk above the NEW GOTTHARD BASE TUNNEL.
The latter would be much more strenous:

Altdorf - Erstfeld - Rietli - Andi - Golzeren gondola station - Tal - Heernlimi - Etzli Hut (Swiss Alpine Club) - Chruetzli Pass - Sedrun railway station - Pazzola - Alp Surtatschas - Sont Gagl bus stop - Lake Sta. Maria - Uomo Pass - Sole Pass - Predelp Pass - Predelp bus stop - Cari - Campello - Sirengo - Rossura - Sorsello - Gianon - Monte Angone - Anzonico - Sobrio - Bodio.