Walking from Roma Termini to hotel?

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking from Roma Termini to hotel?

Hi all! I think I have a benign question this time.

Anyone know the area we will walk from the Termini to our hotel (arriving by ES train from Venice)? If so, is it an OK area for walking while pulling a wheelie bag per person? Ok meaning there are sidewalks along our path & the neighborhood is safe (saw posts about some of the termini area is not safe). We prefer to walk (especially after a 4 hr train ride) if it is OK as questioned above.

We are reserved at the Residence Barberini, Via Delle Quattro Fontane, 171/172. Mappy says .6 miles, 17 minutes (+ time/distance getting out of the Termini). We arrive tentatively at 3:08pm:

1.Walk on Viale Enrico De Nicola (138 ft);
2.Turn Right on Viale Enrico De Nicola
3.Turn Left on Viale Enrico De Nicola (48m)
4.Turn Left on Viale Enrico De Nicola (40m)5.Turn Right on Viale Luigi Einaudi (160m)
6.Go thru Piazza della Repubblica
7.Turn Left on Via Nazionale (320m)
8.Turn Right on Via delle Quattro Fontane (450m)
17 min frm bgng arrive at --172 Via delle Quattro Fontane

Thanks once again, Julie
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM

That is too far, with many streets to cross. We stayed at a hotel across from the Opera House, which is less than half way from Termini to your hotel, and that's about the limit I'd recommend pulling a wheelie with.

Take a taxi.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM

We walked from Termini to our hotel, about 5 blocks away, high noon.
We were attacked twice by the gypsies.
At the airport we changed into neck pouches/money belts so the gypsies didn't get anything!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Take a taxi.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM

You'll be glad you took the taxi, Julie. Stretch your legs after.

Without your baggage I'm sure you'd be perfectly safe and secure. With it you attract the troublemakers who hang around train stations almost everywhere, and might take advantage of your full hands and your searching faces.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Too far.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM

I'm sure some would say it's unsafe, and they may be right, but I took the metro from Termini to Barberini. Then you'd have about 1/2 block to go.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Hi

My wife and I walked home from Navona to Termini one night in Rome after we had been out to eat and we walked via Via Delle Quattro Fontane. I'm sure that you can walk there just make sure that you look at the map before you go so that you don't get "lost" and waste any time on finding the hotel. Here is my Rome trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM

We arrived in Rome at 3.00pm and planned on taking the Metro to our apartment at the Spanish Steps. The Metro was on strike and the queue for the taxis was an hour long. We had to walk and while it was a distance, we had no problem with thieves and gypsies. I think it only took us 20 minutes in total.

Of course our apartment was at the bottom of the steps and the lift wasn't operating as it was on strike as well! I wasn't sure if the apartment was at the top or bottom and my biggest fear was we would arrive at the bottom and have to lug everything up the stairs.

You're only going half or two thirds of the distance we went.

Thank heavens for wheeled bags.

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM

You can also take a bus from Termini, but IMO metro is easier.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM

I looked up your hotel on mappy and I see it is a pleasant walk from termini station. I have walked alone along here and if you are not in a hurry and since it is the middle of the day, it should be fine. This area is not bad and if your suitcases are not too heavy and you are not overloaded with extra stuff you can keep alert to anyone approaching you.

PS: there is a McDonalds in termini, just kidding, just kidding!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM

What there ARE in Termini are pickpockets, however, along with that great store on the lower level.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM

Where I see the problem is that between Via Nazionale and Piazza Barberini lies the Quirinale hill. I suspect you'll be going uphill on Via delle Quattro Fontane until you hit Via del Quirinale, and then downhill from there.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:22 AM
sjj

What Zerlina said. It's too hilly, take a taxi.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin, we laughed & laughed at your funny! What a riot! Thanks.

Zerlina, my guys shake their heads at me when I tell them "I don't do hills!" oops.

Pago mentioned the gypsies. I forgot to mention that we will arrive on Nov 6. On our last 2 Nov trips to Rome, we didn't see the gypsies that everyone talks about. We figured they must go to Florida for the winter like everyone else!

Regarding the taxis - anyone know if they have room for 3 adults with one 27" bag each?

We had car pickup last year; arranged by our apartment owner. But he was rather put out because the train was 1 hour late & he waited. He charged us 10 Euros more, which we didn't think was a bad deal & gladly gave, plus a hefty tip for his troubles. Last year we were next to P.Navona though.

In case the taxis are too small, who do you guys hire for car pickup? And do they wait when you are late?

Appreciate everyone's great responses, Julie
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM
J62

There is plenty of room in a taxi for 3 adults + bags. Some of the smaller taxis maybe not, but there are plenty of larger taxis around as well (station wagon and/or mini-mini van types and the taxi queue moves very quickly.

No need to prearrange a car - taxi is fine.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

A taxi is best, but you should be able to walk it if the weather is nice.
One year I spent a lot of time wheeling one our bags through the streets of Rome. My wife was shopping for our new home and for shoes. I gave up carrying numerous bags all day.
I started taking my wife's wheelie bag to give my arms a rest.
One area I remember wheeling to was from Piazza Barberini uphill and over to the Termini area (there was a specific shop she wanted to shop at-twice).
At times the streets were a bit bumpy as we crossed them, but it really isn't all that far.
We didn't have any gypsy problems related to our trips in this area (on some buses,that was another story).
I don't find that area all that bad.
This year we will arrive at the Termini and will need to get to the Piazza Barberini to meet our hotel's van. I totally expect that my wife will suggest we walk or take the metro.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM

When coming back from Florence to spend one night in Rome before flying home I stayed in a hotel near Termini. I don't believe it was as far as your hotel, but I had zero problems rolling my suitcase and walking to it all by my lonesome. Nobody approached or bothered me. If you're physically capable of carting your luggage that far and have your wits about you, you'll have no trouble walking to your hotel.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM

The so-called "gypsies" in Rome have not been a problem for years now.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Another vote for a taxi. What is an enjoyable walk is greatly altered when you have luggage with you. Drop the bags and then explore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -