Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walking from Gare du Nord station to Montmartre neighborhood

Sep 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

We'll be taking the train from CDG to the Gare du Nord station. My 16 year old daughter and I will only have 1 rolling piece of luggage each. Does anyone know if walking from the Gare du Nord station to the Montmartre district is recommended/not recommended. It doesn't appear to be too far, and I've checked it out on google.maps and the neighborhood appears to be okay, but I'm looking for an experts opinion. We're both walkers and the distance is not an issue.

Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM

It depends where you are going in Montmartre, give an address and one can advise better. I don't know what Google maps can show you about the neighborhood being okay. It's kind of uphill, and could be really really uphill depending where you are going in Montmartre, that's why one can't answer your question without knowing exactly where you are going. Also, what time of day or night would you be doing this, and what size of this rolling luggage would it be? Rolling luggage can range from 15" to 30" or more, I think.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Whereabouts? You do realise it's not called "mont" (= mountain or hill) for nothing?

It's more walking than I'd care to do straight off a plane, about a mile down main traffic routes to start off with then possibly some steep slopes uphill, depending on the exact address you're aiming for. Bus 54 from the Gare du Nord to Gennevilliers skirts the southern edge of Montmartre proper, metro line 4 (dir Porte de Clignancourt) the eastern: if you don't want to spring for a taxi, you could take either of those and walk the rest. But a lot depends on what street you're aiming for.
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM

We walked it both ways. Going uphill can be a chore. Just take your time and maybe stop and have a coffee on the way.
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Yes, more info please. Montmartre is all a hill - are you going to the lower part or the upper part? Address?
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM

If your metro station is along line 2, you can connect directly to the metro out the back end of the RER station (there is a corridor linking it to the La Chapelle station).

If you like to walk, however, there is absolutely no danger whatsoever if you walk. I had a thread long ago explaining part of the neighborhood.

Here it is:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...montmartre.cfm
Sep 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

We'll be going to Rue du Trois Freres. The closest station to our apartment is Abbesses. I'm not sure what line that is. We're traveling with carry on luggage. And I took a look at the google.maps street view so I can only say that there didn't appear to be any crimes in progress (lol). It was kind of cool, I actually did a visual "walk" down the route it gave me from the Gare du Nord station to our apartment address. And I did read somewhere on this forum that the area was safe, so I'm more concerned about the walkability of the area - highways to cross, construction, etc. Who knows when Google took those map photos. We'll be arriving at Gare du Nord at about noon.

Yes, I do know the meaning of Mont. I'm looking forward to the view from Sacre Cour. I think it is very close to our apartment. And I love walking and don't think we'll be too tired. If we are, I'm not opposed to getting a cab. It just seems that for less than a mile, the walk would be a great introduction to our temporary home for the week.

Thanks jkbritt, sounds like it has been done before.

And Kerouac, your description of the area is amazing. I had no idea. Now I definitely think we'll be walking. Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM

I had even made a small illustrated thread on part of the area: http://tinyurl.com/mk8xta

Yes, rue des Trois Frères is walkable for the stalwart, but I hope you have a good map because all of the streets are crooked and it is extremely easy to go off in the wrong direction. It is really one of the most picturesque parts of Montmartre.

As for the Abbesses metro station, you should go DOWN the stairs at least once to admire how deep the station is, and then you will know that you should ALWAYS take the elevators from the platform to the exit.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Oh, there was this, too, showing the streets behind Gare du Nord: http://tinyurl.com/mg35nm
Sep 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM

The 54 bus would get you fairly close to one end of rue des Trois Frères, at the Anvers metro station, or the middle at Pigalle metro:

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index...lan-interactif
Sep 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. By the time we leave, I hope to become familiar with the area so we won't get lost. Our trip isn't until January, but half the fun is planning, so you can't start too soon. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in the future. It is so great to get answers from the experts.