Reload this Page >

Wales with my young teenager

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
trsmom

Well, I got some great responses with the first half of my Trip (Italy, Rome and south). The second half is Wales. Southern probably. My son is 13, very mature, will probably take a falconry lesson while there (not his first). Any suggestions on falconry schools? Any in South Wales? I went to school South of London (and London) and have spent alot of time in Scotland and York area. My son loves to hike, loves nature, science and lots of ruins! Not big on museums. Have seen the the London Dungeon many times (he always wants to take whoever comes with us). The Edinburgh Dungeon was interesting.
Budgeting isn't an issue.
Anybody have any ideas? Love local food, hate anything done for show. Prefer local color and culture, whatever range. I'm trying to be more specific, but I need some guidance as Wales is new to me.
Thanks much!

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that there is a falconry school, just outside of Cardiff, sort of in Barry. There are lots of coastal walks, but beware of the quickly rising tides - second only to the Bay of Funddy. The Brecon Beacon mountains sort of reminded me of Colorado, just about a mile lower. There are hikes there. Also outside of Cardiff is the St. Fagans Museum of Welsh life. It's hard to find local food like laverbread, but you can find fagots, which are huge meatballs made from organ meat, in pubs. There are tons of castles in the area, including Cardiff, Caerphilly, Raglan and others, many of which are in ruins. Look for a website called 'Castles of Wales' for some ideas.

Have fun!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
trsmom

Fairfax,

Thanks for the info. Is there anything really special or unusual North of Cardiff? We'll have a car

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM

Would he (and you) enjoy a white water rafting day? That's something I plan to do when I get to Wales!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM

How about the Big Pit ? It's a former coalmine turned museum, but a very cool one.

For nature & walks (although west not north of Cardiff), the Gower is lovely.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM

Hi trsmom,
Fairfax is right, there is a bird of prey centre west of Cardiff near Barry.
http://www.barrywales.co.uk/hawkingcentre/

I presume they will do what you want.

You will find several castles in and around Cardiff. Naturally Cardiff Castle right in the city center.

Caerphilly Castle is well worth a visit as it is huge and not tarted up at all.

Castle Coch is not far from Caerphilly and is bit of a folly really, but never the less well worth an hour of your time.

Both these are North of Cardiff, check out the Castles of Wales site, Fairfax recommended you will see them all, plus many others in the surrounding region well worth a visit.

Big pit is great too. as Caroline says. Take a trip right down the shaft and go right underground.

If you want activity holidays, there are hundreds of places North of Cardiff in the Brecon Beacons and the surrounding areas, check out this site.

http://www.touristnetuk.com/Wa/cardi...ties/index.htm

West of Cardiff is Gower peninsula, great for surfing and boating and further west is the Pembrokeshire National park, which has coastal areas fabulous for walking. Saundersfoot and Tenby Beaches are great too.

East of Cardiff is Caerleon which was the site of a Roman legionary fortress, it has some ruins and a museum.
http://www.caerleon.net/history/army/

Muck
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
trsmom

Thank you all so much! You have given my some really great ideas. Love the Roman fortress and the Big Pit! And Mucky...thanks loads for the sites!! You have all been such help. This is my first time ( in years of travel) that I have used this site..wished I would have used it earlier. I'll try and return the favor sometime with what I know of where I've been. Thanks again!

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM

One thing I noticed has not been mentioned is Techniquest in Cardiff. I see you mentioned he loves Science. I know not North of Cardiff.
This may help.
http://www.walestouristguide.com/
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/

Sorry I put the wrong URL in my last message this is better.