Reload this Page >

Wales, Cotswolds or Lake District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Sylvia

Have been to London several times and made various side trips out of the city. On our next trip (April 2002), we would would like to spend an entire week touring one of three areas. We have narrowed down our choices to Wales, the Cotswolds, or the Lake District. We enjoy hiking and seeing the sights in a relaxed manner so we only want to do one of these areas for the entire week. All sound great so which would you recommend the most and why?

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Patrick

I haven't done Wales, so I really can't comment on that except that we've planned it half way about three different times and I just can't seem to get that excited about it when I start narrowing down the accommodations, etc.<BR>The Lake District is beautiful, but it is also notoriously rainy -- April really sounds scarey for that.<BR>My choice of what you list would be the Cotswalds. Actually my first choice would be Cornwall and/or Devon, but perhaps you've already done that.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Andy

Sylvia-- we did just this itinerary this past May--2nd week of May to be exact-<BR>Landed at LHR and drove to Chester-it is a great city with tons of stuff to do and great hotel=Chester Grosvner--then we drove to Grasmere (in the Lakes District) and stayed at Michaels Nook-a manor house that was FAB-1 Star Michelin rest.in it! and we toured the Lake District for 3 days--(it did rain and was very misty and cool)--then we drove down to the Cotswolds and stayed at a major rip off manor house --called Lord of the Manor in Upper Slaughter--do NOT stay there but DO DO DO have dinner there-it is a 2 star Michelin rest with killer service--it is near Stow on Wold--and Burford....

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Mavis

Since you are travelling in April I'm assuming you are prepared for possibility of rain wherever you go. My vote would be for Wales. Although I have spent a lot of time in Cotswolds, Wales is a beautiful place to wander around and greener than any place I've been to. (I'm not a fan of the Lake District, I think it's overrated.) We rent self-catering cottages when in Wales, gives us a base and it's easy to get around by car. Things we saw and enjoyed: Caernarfon, Conwy Castle, Bodnant Gardens (has to be one of the most gorgeous gardens anywhere), Portmeiron, Snowdonia (we took train to top and walked down), Criccieth (lovely little place with beautiful rocky beach), Plas Newydd on Menai Straits and Penrhyn Castle (you can just imagine Dracula living there), and Holyhead (ferries leave here for Ireland but also interesting place to spend 1/2 day in). If want info. on self catering cottages in Wales (in Cotswolds as well), can e-mail me directly. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself wherever you go.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Tony

IMHO Wales should be your first choice. It is absolutely beautiful, so green, and there are more interesting sights to see than the other two places mentioned. A week would be just about right to see it. There are also many places to hike if that is your desire. The Cotswolds are also nice in April but if you are active, I don't think there is enough there to keep you busy for an entire week unless you also explore the surrounding areas. The Lake District is also quite beautiful and is known for its hiking, but that could be rather chancey in April, as it is in most places in the U.K. in April. Also, unless you were really able to spend most of your time hiking, I think you might get a bit bored staying just in the Lake District for a whole week. While others may disagree, all in all I think Wales would be the best.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:09 PM
kam

www.visitwales.com or www.wtbonline.gov.uk<BR>We spent two weeks in the north of Wales. Beautiful scenery, castle, small towns, great walking/hiking, wonderful people who love to chat, good food. Would go back in a second. Most of our trip was spent near Snowdonia and there's an absolutely charming town called Betws-y-Coed there with a lovely small hotel call the Prince's Arms. Little bit outside of town nearer to beautiful Swallow Falls. Lovely food at the hotel and very gracious people and dog. I lived near the Lake District for 3 months--it's very nice but doesn't have such interesting history of Wales. Cotswolds I don't know well--pretty towns but I can't see too much else. The next one on our list is Cornwall and Devon. Wherever you land, have a great time.<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Topper

topping