Search

Wales-any tips for a brief trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 09:16 AM
mdv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wales-any tips for a brief trip

Hello All,<BR>We are planning a brief ( 3 day) trip to Wales. Any personal recommendations for a hotel or B&amp;b in either the Swansea or Cardiff area? All other suggestions welcomed. I have consulted www.visitwales and thank all of you for suggesting it.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:16 AM

It's a little further west than you've mentioned but I recently stayed at The Old Cross in St Davids:<BR><BR>http://www.stdavids.co.uk/oldcross/<BR><BR>The coastline north of St Davids is breathtaking.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM
vcl

We've stayed at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff -- old, great food, wonderful tea, convenient walk to the Castle and shopping and at the Marriott (I think it could have been the Hilton, whichever is in the maritime quarter) in Swansea -- new, on the water, also easy walk to shopping and dining.<BR><BR>For a first time, I think I'd choose Cardiff; there's a little more to see in the town itself and it is easy to get public transportation out to Caerphilly, one of the most interesting of the Welsh castles. If you love literature, Swansea is the haven for Dylan Thomas fans and -- if you are driving -- is a good spot from which to visit his boathouse and the Gower penninsula.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Don't know about Swansea or Cardiff hotele but if you aren't locked into those towns I would suggest driving a bit farther to the area around Tenby. Beautiful landscapes and quant sea-side towns. Although I have always stayed with relatives, I have heard that Penally Abbey Hotel near Tenby is quite nice.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Plas Llanmihangel B&amp;B in Cowbridge just west of Cardiff is spectacular.<BR><BR>http://www.travelpublishing.co.uk/HiddenPlacesWales/GowerPeninsulaandHeritageCoast/wal10336.htm.<BR><BR>Do get driving directions starting at Cowbidge's on stop lite.<BR><BR>I've posted some pictures at http://www.the-garners.net/uk1998/plas_pics.htm.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
mdv
Original Poster

Thanks so much.<BR><BR>Rick, your photos and travelogue are great.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:53 AM

It really depends on how much you want to spend on your accomodation. <BR><BR>If you want somewhere really upmarket, try the St Davids Hotel &amp; Spa in Cardiff Bay. This is a 5* Hotel, situated in the Bay area of the city. There are pleanty of restaurants and bars within walking distance, although it is about a 15 minute drive to the city centre. <BR><BR>If you are looking for something in the city centre, then try the Hilton. This is also a 5* hotel, situated opposite Cardiff Castle and the Civic Centre. It is within walking distance of all the major attractions, and there are hundreds of bars and restaurants nearby. <BR><BR>I hope this information helps, and you really enjoy your stay in Cardiff!