Wales & Scotland in 7 days or less!

Feb 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Wales & Scotland in 7 days or less!

We have been trying to settle on what will be the best areas to visit on our all-too-short visit to Great Britain and we are having a problem agreeing. We started out hoping we could have it all, but we realize we can't. Then we decided to visit Northern Wales because that is my heritage ( my maiden name is Llewellyn) and then move through Scotland. It still seemed too much for the time we have. We need help with reasonable judgments about what we can accomplish with out being over committed.

We will be starting and ending in London the first week in Mar. We are thinking 2 days in Wales and 4 in Scotland. We are interested in the Northern part part of Wales to include Conwy, Llyewlyn's Castle, Holy Head and Snowdon Mt. We would take the train up the Snowden Mountain but it may not be running. I think we would have to forgo any further tour of Wales if we want to see any of Scotland.
In Scotland we hope to see Stirling, the Northern and Western Highlands and Inverness. We would like to see Hadrian's Wall but don't know how to fit it into the travel plans.

We are more interested in staying in B&Bs in smaller towns than in larger cities. Suggestions?

Please feel free to tell us what is & is not reasonable for a trip of this length. Thanks for you help.

Feb 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Shirley,

How do you intend to travel around?

Assuming by car London to North Wales will take the best part of a day, as will North Wales to Scotland. (Hadrian's Wall would be the easy bit, you drive over it at Carlisle.) Depending on what you mean by Northern and Western Highlands that could mean a lot of mileage in Scotland. Then you have to get back to London (fly or train might be better). It's an awful lot of driving.

Weather in March may be a bit iffy, especially in Snowdonia.

Can you clarify your priorities and transport means?

Michael
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Can you do this in 6 days? Yes, of course you can provided you do not plan on actually spending anytime in seeing or visiting those places.
If in fact you would like to spend a few hours in each place I really think you should drop Scotland this time around. You just might have time to see northern Wales and a bit of Hadrian's wall. Now understant this is from someone who loves Scotland and fast paced trips, but I would do what you are thinking about. In any event have a good trip.
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

But I would not do.----Sorry about that.
Feb 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

We are planning at this time on renting a car so we can go at our own pace. My son & I will be flying back to London because he needs to get back to college and my husband & daughter, who will stay for a few extra days, will drive. I know March is not the optimun time to visit these areas, but with the kids college breaks, this is it.
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM

There is nothing wrong w/ March. Your problem isn't time of the year - it is wanting to do too much, and go too far in too little time.

First look at a map - N. Wales to Hadrian's Wall to Inverness (why?) through the northern and western highlands in less than a week.

Except for on the motorways you will be averaging around 35 or 40 miles an hour. And in some remote areas of Scotland/Wales even less.

Scotland is my favorite place on Earth - but w/ such a short time and needing to stay at least a couple of days in Wales, I would not even consider going to northern Scotland.

Consider planning a trip including N. Wales and Northern England. The Lake District, Northumberland, and maybe a bit of Yorkshire - but even that would be rushing it.
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that this is really too much for one trip. We'll plan a conference call tonight with the daughter in Heidelberg & the son in PA to see if we can reach a consensus.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM

You could perhaps base yourself somewhere like Chester.
You could then take a couple of day-trips into North wales with perhaps a trip into the Peak District or possibly the Lake District.
I'd certainly leave Scotland until next time.