Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   WALDORF MADELEINE Hotel in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/waldorf-madeleine-hotel-in-paris-41973/)

BD Apr 9th, 1999 08:38 PM

WALDORF MADELEINE Hotel in Paris

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? My wife and I will be in Paris in June and considering this hotel. Is it good location for the tourist sites?

John Apr 10th, 1999 09:15 AM

BD, someone else on this forum is also staying there ... check the postings ...maybe a few weeks ago. <BR> <BR>As for the location: it is better than some and not as good as some others. Depends on what your interests are. The Paris tourist sites are pretty much spread out all over the city so there isn't any one "best" spot. You will be close to Place Concorde and to the Place Madeline which is pretty entrally located. Place Concorde is on end of the Champ Elysees which the Arc de Triomphe is at one end which you will be able to see. Place Concorde is also at one end of the Tuilerie Gardens of which the Louvre is at the other end. <BR> <BR>Place Madeline is home to a couple of specialty food stores ... Hediard and Fauchon's which are interesting. There is a flower market there as well. Close by is the old Opera and the Cafe de la Paix. Behind the Opera, a few blocks, is the Printemps and Galeriee Lafayette shopping stores. <BR> <BR>A few blocks down fom Place Concorde on Rue Rivoli and a left onto Rue Castiglione wil bring you to Place Vendome .... Ritz Hotel and several upscale jewelry stores. <BR> <BR>Further down the river are the islands ... Ile de la Cite (home to Notre Dame) and Ile St Louis. Across the river are the 5th and 6th arrondissiments of St Germain and the Latin Quarter. Up the river (opposite of your hotel) is the 7th arrondissiment and home to the Eiffel Tower. <BR> <BR>All in all, you will be in a pretty good location and from what I have heard, the Waldorf Madeline is a pretty nice hotel. Enjoy.

John Apr 10th, 1999 09:17 AM

BD, someone else on this forum is also staying there ... check the postings ...maybe a few weeks ago. <BR> <BR>As for the location: it is better than some and not as good as some others. Depends on what your interests are. The Paris tourist sites are pretty much spread out all over the city so there isn't any one "best" spot. You will be close to Place Concorde and to the Place Madeline which is pretty entrally located. Place Concorde is on end of the Champ Elysees which the Arc de Triomphe is at one end which you will be able to see. Place Concorde is also at one end of the Tuilerie Gardens of which the Louvre is at the other end. <BR> <BR>Place Madeline is home to a couple of specialty food stores ... Hediard and Fauchon's which are interesting. There is a flower market there as well. Close by is the old Opera and the Cafe de la Paix. Behind the Opera, a few blocks, is the Printemps and Galeriee Lafayette shopping stores. <BR> <BR>A few blocks down fom Place Concorde on Rue Rivoli and a left onto Rue Castiglione wil bring you to Place Vendome .... Ritz Hotel and several upscale jewelry stores. <BR> <BR>Further down the river are the islands ... Ile de la Cite (home to Notre Dame) and Ile St Louis. Across the river are the 5th and 6th arrondissiments of St Germain and the Latin Quarter. Up the river (opposite of your hotel) is the 7th arrondissiment and home to the Eiffel Tower. <BR> <BR>All in all, you will be in a pretty good location and from what I have heard, the Waldorf Madeline is a pretty nice hotel. Enjoy.

p.jones Apr 10th, 1999 09:20 AM

Dear B.D. This hotel is in the 8th Arrondissement and according to my 1994 hotel book has every amenity possible, including A/C. The Metro stop is Madeleine, which is practically in the heart of Paris and has good connections to 2 RER (suburban train),Concorde (Place de la) and is within excellent distance to all the good shopping areas. Paris is so easy to get around on foot or bus or metro that no matter where your hotel is, you can go wherever you want in a short time. Get a copy of the "Eyewitness Guide to Paris" and even though it is a bit heavy, take it with you but look up stuff before you go and maybe make copies of stuff you may want to carry around with you. The French Tourist Office here in the U.S. will send you a lot of stuff, including a fold out map with tourist sites marked on it. E-mail them at [email protected] and ask them for brochures, maps, etc. on Paris. <BR>They also have a website www.fgtousa.org. Nationwide "France-on-Call" information number is 900-990-0040.(there is a charge of .50 or .75 per min. We will be in Paris in June, also, with a Saga Tour. Wouldn't it be funny if we bumped into eachother at a sidewalk cafe? Cafe sitting is something you want to spend a lot of time experiencing. Just watch the world go by, sit very close to your wife, be Parisian and snuggle and hold hands and gaze into eachother's eyes, and you will never forget this city. It will change your life forever. Know you didn't ask for this additional advice...but here it is for what it's worth!

Michele Apr 22nd, 1999 10:40 AM

BD: <BR>I believe you have already e-mailed me about the Waldorf Madeleine. <BR> <BR>My Mom and I will be staying there May 14-25 and I will let you know how it was on our return. <BR> <BR>I booked through Hotel Reservations Network, and both myself and the HRN have tried to get a brochure from them since February and still can not get them to send a brochure. I don't know why. They keep telling the company that it is on the way. <BR> <BR>It is a 3 1/2 to 4 star hotel and I imagine it is quite nice. The picture on the HRN website looks very nice even though it is small. <BR> <BR>Location is good from all on this site who have responded to me. From what I can tell, if you don't mind walking, you can practically walk everywhere and that is just fine with me! <BR> <BR>We are leaving in about 3 weeks and we can't wait! I have kept your e-mail address to update you on our return. In the meantime, if anyone mentions that they have stayed there and have an experience to share, please let me know. <BR> <BR>Merci, Michele