Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wachau Valley to Salzburg and Innsbruck taking in Salzkammergut and Berchtesgaden

Wachau Valley to Salzburg and Innsbruck taking in Salzkammergut and Berchtesgaden

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending 4 days in Vienna and 2 in the Wachau Valley, we shall have 10 days left to spend in Austria and wish to mainly take in Salzburg and Innsbruck. However we would like to fit in Salzkammergut and Berchtesgaden but they look like they are different sides of Salzburg. For Salzburg, we do want to stay in the city itself for a few nights to take in the culture there so don't want to commute from Salzkammergut and Berchtesgaden. Would it make more sense to go to Berchtesgaden after Salzburg and on our way to Innsbruck and then go to Salzkammergut on the way back to Vienna at the end of our trip (perhaps too much of being in the country on top of Wachau to do straight after)? This is 2 weeks mid to late September this year (2021) We shall be using public transport, trains, buses and local ferries.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 10:32 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Salzkammergut is an easy 40 minute bus ride from Salzburg via Bus 150. We stayed in St Gilgen, but St Wolfgang and Strobl are easy to reach as well. They're all connected by regular ferry service.

Berchtesgaden is 49 minutes by bus from Salzburg or 65-85 minutes by train.

Both are easy day trips from Salzburg, so you could base in Salzburg, but it really depends on what you hope to see and do in each area; are you just looking for a quick visit or do you hope to stay there for a few nights?

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 29th, 2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq8, I think it may be worth staying in Salzkammergut for one night, I prefer to stay at a hotel rather than a pension etc, but have you any recommendations for where to stay? In light of your advice, we (my adult daughter and I) will probably travel from the Wachau Valley to Salzburg and thereafter avail ourselves of the 150 bus to get to Salzkammergut - I wouldn't mind taking in a bit of the history there, there's also some archaeological info I have read on that area, also would like to eat well there and enjoy the lake views.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 06:03 AM

We spent five nights in St Gilgen at an apartment, so unfortunately I have no first hand experience with hotels in the area, other than for food - we had two really good meals at Kendler Hotel Gasthof in St Gilgen, and two good lunches at Hotel Peter in St. Wolfgang.

Hallstatt is relatively easy to reach from the Salzkammergut
too.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Hi patriciatbrogan,

I spent about 5 nights in St Gilgen in 2009, and just this July spent 5 nights in St Wolfgang. Even though St Gilgen is the larger town by population, St Wolfgang feels larger and is far, far more interesting (more small streets and alleys to explore, more small shops to investigate, etc.). St Gilgen has better views, imo, because the mountains across the lake are larger and more dramatic. St Wolfgang is more remote because there is no road on the top of the eastern side of the lake, and the bus has to go down the western side, across Strobl, then up the eastern side. Or you can get off the bus at St Gilgen and take a ferry boat to St Wolfgang.

There are some great walks in the area -- between St Gilgen & St Wolfgang, and outside of St Wolfgang

Here are some photos

St Gilgen

St Wolfgang

St Wolfgang

St Wolfgang
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Is Halstatt where the caves are? You say it is convenient to Salzkammergut, but when I looked it up it was about 4 hours away, what am I doing wrong? Help!
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 07:54 PM

In St. Wolfgang -- see the 2nd photo above -- we passed that hotel and it looked great. We'd stay there if we went again: Im Weissen Rössl. We were staying in Hallstatt but I understand it's more remote than most people prefer.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:32 AM

Well, convenience is relative. Hallstatt is a popular day trip for tourists - many visitors go there from Salzburg for the day, so the Salzkammergut puts you just that much closer. I have mixed feelings about Hallstatt, but since so many people rave about it, thought you might want to know how 'close' to it you'd be.

Hallstatt is a village on Lake Hallstatt's western shore in Austria's mountainous Salzkammergut region. Its 16th-century Alpine houses and alleyways are home to cafes and shops. A funicular railway connects to Salzwelten, an ancient salt mine with a subterranean salt lake, and to Skywalk Hallstatt viewing platform. A trail leads to the Echern Valley glacier garden with glacial potholes and Waldbachstrub Waterfall.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 11:45 AM

Personally I think Hallstatt is not good as a day trip as the magic only begins when the day-trippers leave... kind of like Venice, Capri, and other popular "day trip" locales. But if you have a car, it's an easy drive.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 12:03 PM

The problem with most "day-trip" destinations such as Hallstatt, Venice, Capri, etc. is that the magic only appears when the day-trippers leave. When we stayed there, we had a car and used Hallstatt as a base for several days.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 12:06 PM

The problem with most "day-trip" destinations such as Hallstatt, Venice, Capri, etc. is that the magic only appears when the day-trippers leave. When we stayed there, we had a car and used Hallstatt as a base for several days.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Melnq8, with spending 5 nights in Salzkammergut, can you give me ideas of what you did and how easy it was to get around - we won't have a car, did you have a car?

Thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 04:36 AM

patriciatbrogan - no, we didn't have a car and visited in December.

My trip report here gives all the details:

On the beaten path: Tirol, Salzkammergut and Munich

Is Halstatt where the caves are? You say it is convenient to Salzkammergut, but when I looked it up it was about 4 hours away, what am I doing wrong? Help!

Not sure about caves, but it took us two hours to get there from St Gilgen by bus/train/boat.

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 1st, 2021 at 04:44 AM.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 04:44 AM

patriciatbrogan - no, we didn't have a car and visited in December.

My trip report here gives all the details:

On the beaten path: Tirol, Salzkammergut and Munich

Old Sep 1st, 2021, 04:45 AM

Not sure about caves, but it took us two hours to get to Hallstatt from St Gilgen via bus/train/boat.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 07:57 AM

Yes, we didn't visit them but the Dachstein Ice Caves are by Hallstatt

https://dachstein-salzkammergut.com/...iant-ice-cave/

Old Sep 1st, 2021, 04:29 PM

We've been to all of those. I love Berchtesgaden and we are going back for our fourth visit in May. We usually stay in the town of Schonau but are staying near downtown Berchtesgaden on the next trip. The Konigssee is stunning. We've taken the boat ride to St. Bartholomew to visit the lovely church. There are some great hiking spots around the lake if you are into hiking. Ramsau is in the region and is very cute and super picturesque, as is the church at Maria Gern.

In the Salzkammergut we stayed for a night in St. Gilgen and liked the location. Hallstatt is lovely but I do agree that it would probably be more pleasant overnight. We've been in April and in May and both times the crowds were at a minimum but I understand it can get quite busy at times. I personally prefer staying in St. Gilgen or maybe another town in the Salzkammergut over Hallstatt, if you are looking for a base town, just because it's kind of isolated.

From Berchtesgaden or Salzburg it's an easy drive to Innsbruck.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Melnq8 and all, we are staying in St Wolfgang for 3 nights and then need to return to Vienna - does the 150 bus leave regularly to Salzburg station (this is on a Friday) to marry up with catching a train from Salzburg to Vienna. I have just read about the Westbahn trains, do they run relatively frequently between Salzburg and Vienna?
Thanks

Last edited by patriciatbrogan; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 01:31 PM

I believe the bus runs every 30 minutes. You just pay the bus driver when you board, 6.90 Euro each when we were there.

https://www.salzburg-ag.at/bus-bahn/.../fahrplan.html

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 01:34 PM.