Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wachau Valley in October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wachau-valley-in-october-901793/)

memejs Aug 6th, 2011 09:39 PM

Wachau Valley in October?

I've read a lot about the Melk/Krems combi-ticket excursions, and it sounds really appealing, especially given that we're going to be spending most of our 12 day vacation in big cities. We only have two full days in Vienna (plus two partial days), and I'm wondering if we should use one of our days to do this excursion at the expense of some of the museums and other sites in Vienna.

My first question is will the Wachau Valley be picturesque in mid-October? If not, then that will easily solve this dilemma. If it is worth doing, I'll be back with further questions about how to fit the best of Vienna into our remaining time.

quokka Aug 6th, 2011 11:23 PM

Of course it will be picturesque in autumn colours, must be lovely at that time. This excursion is indeed worthwhile (although it will unfortunately shorten your time in Vienna). Don't miss Dürnstein, halfway between Melk and Krems, which is the prettiest village in the Wachau.

molker Aug 7th, 2011 04:20 AM

While much to see in Vienna - your comment regarding spending most of your vacation time in cities prompted my response.

The Melk/ Danube River boat / Dürnstein / Krems makes for a most interesting and varief day.

This is easily done-
a combi ticket available

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

under Wachau

>Melk Abbey is a gem

www.stiftmelk.at

great views from its terrace - The Abbey renovated and restored severa years ago.
Fine exhibits - fantastic library - their Guttenberg Bible was sold to help pay for renovations - thousands of old volumes remain .
Nice garden too.

The baot trip passes many castle ruins , terraced vineyards , small villages , olf Churches etc.Depending on the weather , grape harvests will continue for most of October.

If a wine lover- some of the best white wines in the world.
Good prices too with fine food offerings.

This a great change from cities -
Danube boats run until the end of October -

Te Wachau is beautiful at anytime - but do not expect huge variation of leaf colors - much of what you see will be the vineyards - these turn mostly yloow /orange .

My opinion a fine day trip .

memejs Aug 7th, 2011 05:12 AM

Okay you have me convinced. Now I just need help trying to organize the sites into our remaining time. I've identified what I want to do, I just need help with the timing. Here's what I've pieced together so far:

Arrive Sunday afternoon
Take trams around Ringstrasse and snack in a cafe
Marie Antoinette at the Volksoper (I'm going to try and get tickets), the backup plan is to stroll around to get our bearings.

Monday
Wachau Valley tour
Light dinner
Prater or Haus der Musik

Tuesday
Morning exercises at the Spanish Riding School
Imperial Treasury or Kunsthistoriches Museum
Naschmarkt and cafes for lunch
Opera House tour
St. Stephen's
Can I fit anything more into this day? I want to leave time for leisurely walking between sites.

Wednesday
Breakfast
Schronbrunn
Train to Budapest at 16:09 out of Meidling

I've put the Wachau Valley excursion on Monday since some of the key Vienna sites are closed that day.

I haven't been able to fit the Belvedere in anywhere and it's something I would really like to see. I'm thinking that we could spend a couple of morning hours there on Wednesday before Schonbrunn. The other option is to go there on Tuesday instead of the Kunsthistoriches and then spend a few hours at the Kunsthisoriches on Wednesday before Schonbrunn. That would be less back and forth on Wednesday but more on Tuesday. Any suggestions?

Also, we will be staying in an apartment about 15 minutes outside the city center, and I'm not sure what to do about our luggage on the last day. We'll need to check out in the morning, so we won't be able to leave our luggage there for the day, and even if we could it wouldn't be convenient to go back and retrieve it before we leave. If we take it with us to Schonbrunn will there be a place to store it while we take the tour?

molker Aug 7th, 2011 09:14 AM

Some suggestions for you to consider -

website for Volksoper if you do not already have it
www.volksoper.at

instructions there for ordering tickets

Remember that this offering is a ballett .

The ballett companies of the State Opera and Volksoper merged a number of years ago - good quality.

Just 5 minuters walk from the Volksoper is the Cafe Weimar - good place with fine Vienna cafe atmosphere - usually piano music in the evening too.

Cafes Schwarzenberg , Landtmann are found directly on the Ring - nice places .

Haus of Musik open until later in the evening- I would skip the Prater as by middle of October it is very quiet excepting the giant wheel.

Tuesday

Treasury / schatzkammer is closed

www.khm.at

try to fit this in at another day as to me very interesting.

for info.

Kunsthistorisches is open and just 5 minutes walk from the Riding School.
www.khm.at

I would leave time to just wander in the city center - some interesting architecture , parks, shops etc.

Meidling station has lockers to store your bags.
I would drop them there early before beginning sightseeing.

Schonbrunn is not far away - take U-6 and transfer to U-4

transport info

www.wienerlinien.at

Perhaps you can visit Belvedere on Tuesday - they are open until 6 PM

and visit Stephansdom on Sunday - it is open in the evening and you can also walk a little around the city center then too.

Several cafes close by too.

Just some ideas.