After visiting family in Germany for a few days, DH and I are flying from MUC to BLQ and picking up a car for the Italian portion of our trip. We've hit most of the majors before, so this will just be Tuscany. We are traveling the first week in August.
It's the first two nights I'm concerned with. After that we have four nights booked in Pienza to explore the Val d' Orcia.
My original thought was to spend two nights in Volterra to see some Etruscan sites and the Roman Amphitheater. When I was booking originally, nothing 'in' Volterra was available that had air conditioning. So I relented and booked in San Gimignano here: http://www.leonbianco.com/
The idea was, stay in San Gim and see it in the evening, and travel to Volterra for our one full day in the area as a day trip. A kind of two for one.
Later, this property became available in Volterra:
I've read two short articles lately, one that absolutely panned San Gim, the other still saw it as a viable option.
Any recent impressions on San Gim, or the travel between San Gim and Volterra? If it were YOUR trip, what would you do?
I would appreciate any and all input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 2 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 3 Where to stay in Naples?
- 4 Tips for first trip to UK
- 5 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 6 Portugal
- 7 Browsing Barcelona
- 8 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 9 land vs river cruise
- 10 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 11 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 12 Malaga Christmas lights
- 13 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 14 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 15 Croatia in mid/late October
- 16 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 17 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 18 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 19 Help with Venice Trip?
- 20 Dubrovnik
- 21 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 22 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 23 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 24 Norte Dame light show!
- 25 Where to Eat in Barcelona