Volendam - How to Get There

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Charlie Girl

Volendam - How to Get There

Does anyone know how to get to Volendam from Amsterdam? Is it too touristy? Thanks.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:32 AM
wes fowler

Volendam is not accessible by train, however, either the No. 110 or 112 bus from Amsterdam's central station will get you there in 20 minutes or so. Volendam is indeed touristy, glutted with souvenir shops selling everything from wooden shoes to photos of yourself in native costume. Better to go to Marken and Edam, both on the same bus routes. There you'll find less emphasis on tourism and you may find folk in traditional costume, particularly in Marken, because of the village's stringent Calvinist origins rather than its catering to tourists. Both Marken and Edam have interesting museums with typical room settings and furnishings. Opt for either or both instead of Volendam.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:35 AM
dave

Charlie Girl,

You need to take a bus (I can't remember which #) from Amsterdam Central Station to Volendam. It is about a 30 minute bus ride, and if I remember correctly, will use 7 stripenkart tickets one way. There a two busses every hour.

I was in Volendam this summer and found it to be a quaint little fishing town. I liked it personally, a little touristy, but still quaint.

Any questions e-mail me.

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Diane

It was in 1996, but at that time we took a short bus ride to Volendam. Yes, it was touristy, but we liked it anyway. We bought sandwiches and ate them while sitting on a bench looking out over the water. From there we took the short boat ride to Marken. Marken was peaceful and lovely. It felt traditional without seeming too touristy.

Search this Thread