Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vogalonga Boat Marathon, Sunday, May 19, Venice, Italy

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:11 PM
Livingston

We were in Venice the past 4 nights of May 17 through May 20, and had a tremendous time. On Sunday, May 19 the annual Vogalonga boat marathon was held, and there appeared to be hundreds of rowing boats from kayaks to boats of 10-12 rowers. The only information I could find was this is a non-competitive event and included boats from all over Italy plus foreigh countries. CAN ANYONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS FUN EVENT FILLING THE GRAND CANAL AND STOPPING THE WATERBUSES FOR SEVERAL HOURS?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:45 PM
Harriette Lion

How was the weather? Leaving Friday>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
sam

How was the weather? Leaving Friday>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:19 AM
Livingston

Harriette & Sam: If you can answer a little of my queston about Vogalonga, I will answer your question in full about the weather! Livingston (Liv)

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Livingston (Liv)

Harriett & Sam:
Back with the answer to your question as I did not to be smart talking. The weather in Florence and Venice the 7 nights of May 14 through May 20 were perfect. Both cities were in upper 70s during the day permitting me to wear short sleves and short pants. I also felt comfortably dressed like this in the evenings, but the ladies wore sweaters as temps dropped to mid to low 60s. But we kept walking and looking so this kept us warm both day & evenings. The only rain was Monday morning in Venice when had slight drizzle that quit by 9 AM. This made it interesting watching students going to school with umbrellas and back packs. But that weather was this past week, and you are perhaps most interested in what to expect for your upcoming week. I would suggest you look up Weather.com for Venice for projections. Have a great trip as I know we did. Now about Vogalonga Boat Marathon...., Liv