Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Viva Italia ! Got an itinerary finally :) Any suggestions??

Viva Italia ! Got an itinerary finally :) Any suggestions??

Aug 30th, 2001, 03:10 AM
Dee

Viva Italia ! Got an itinerary finally :) Any suggestions??

I am so excited for this trip - less than a month before I leave YIPPEEEE !

How does this sound? Any suggestions from anyone?

I will be flying into Rome on the 28th morning and then taking a train from Rome to Venice in the afternoon to meet up with a friend flying into Venice the same night. (i have a couple of hours in btwn so am hoping to be able to make it to the *wish* fountain and throw in my two coins so I make sure I return *smile)

3 nights in Venice -28th-30th Sept- Palazzo Lion Morosini (apartment type place on the Grand Canal WITH views and 2 mins from Rialto Bridge AND inexpensive!)

2 nights in Florence -1st and 2nd Oct- Residenza Johlea - apparently within walking distance to the main sites, inexpensive and seemingly friendly. www.johanna.it

2 nights in CT 3rd and 4th Oct- staying in Riomaggiore in some double room rented out by Marmar5terre(?)

Flying out of Genoa on the 5th to London in the evening. 2 nights in London, leaving on the 7th back home.

Anyone gonna be at any of these places during that time? Any suggestions from anyone - know my trip is short but I figure I would just get there and see how it goes. I am planning to take trains between the places and have checked out schedules and stuff...

AM SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone who I have bugged and to the people posting on these boards - been quite usefuland thanks in advance for any more help...

Dee

Aug 30th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Vita

Hi, Dee. I'm taking my first trip to Italy in couple of weeks. I'm doing Rome and Florence. Just curious, you don't look like you're spending any time in Rome, but that's where you're flying in. I think there's an airport in Venice. Why don't you just fly there instead?

Also, if you're planning on doing Uffizi or Accademia in Florence, it would be totally worth your while to reserve, especially since your time is there is short. I've heard that people who don't reserve spend about 3 hours in line. Some people on the site have reserved online at www.weekendafirenze.com. I called (055 294883).

Other than that, I'm jealous. I'm already thinking of my next Italy trip to supplement all the places I won't see this time around. Have fun!

Aug 30th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Dee

*giggle* You're jealous? You're going in a couple of weeks !!! LOL

Flying into Rome cuz the day I flying from Hong Kong - there are no flights to Venice or Milan so Rome is my only option - which isn't all too bad. Figure its a chance for me to at least get a glimpse of it (even if it's only the airport and the train station)!!

Thanks for the tips on the museums - am a little nervous booking sooooo far ahead of time since things ALWAYS have a tendency of changing but might call while I am in Venice a day or two ahead

Good luck with your trip too - I'm jealous !

Still open for more suggestions

Dee

Aug 30th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Topping

Topping for Dee - anyone any more advice?

Aug 31st, 2001, 03:20 AM
run

marmar in riomaggiore is the worst you can choose. we had a double room and they used it for 6 person.Terrible!!!

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:21 AM
Dee

Huh? How did they use a double room for 6 people when you were staying there? Do you mean the apartment?

I was told I have my own room and own bathroom *shrug*...

Anyone else with any info???

Aug 31st, 2001, 09:18 AM
run

Hi Dee,
I meant the room normally was for 2 person but there were 4 beds and 2 mattresses in the passage.Probably you'll be luchier than me.

Sep 1st, 2001, 12:51 AM
Leslie

Dee - Three nights in Venice and no nights in Rome??? You won't see much from the train station!!! You should consider staying at least one night in Rome.

Sep 1st, 2001, 01:24 AM
Dee

Leslie: lived in big cities all my life, Hong Kong, LA and New York - figured to do Rome ANY sort of justice you would need at LEAST 3-4 days MINIMUM from what I read so I am skipping it on this trip (have an uncle in Rome so can go back at anytime and not have to worry about hotels)!

Didn't want to deal with traffice, billions of people and a big city this time - want a real R & R type trip - am playing around with the idea of not even going to Florence and just spending all my time in CT just soaking up the ambience.....meeting a friend from London in Venice so can't scrap that out of my trip....

26.5 days til I take off.....WOW !!!!

Search this Thread