Vista Palace or La Perouse

Mar 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
kib
Original Poster

Vista Palace or La Perouse

It seems my original post didn't make it, so I will try again. My apologies if I am repeating a post!

We are going to be staying in Nice for 2 nights before our honeymoon cruise in early June. We are hoping to spend one day driving to St. Paul de Vence, one day to Eze and one wandering Nice.

Our TA can get a delux room at the Vista Palace for $300, which will include breakfast and one dinner. We have been looking into Hotel La Perouse, based on location and high recommendations from this site.

I am seeking opinions, since we have not been to this area of France before. We plan to rent a car prior to the cruise. As well, we will need to find a place to hold our luggage the day we get off the cruise, as we do not leave until later that evening.

Mar 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I have never been to the Vista but I have been to La Perouse and I loved it. It was recommended to me several years ago and I have since recommended it to many people who have gone and have loved it. It has a great location and the staff is very helpful and pleasant.
If you have the time (& the $)go to La Chaumiere. This is a most spectacular restaurant in the corniches - well worth the 45min ride. Having been to 7 continents and over 70 countries, it has kept its #1 spot as my most memorable restaurant in the world!!!
Mar 20th, 2006, 01:36 PM
kib
Original Poster

After contacting La Perouse, it appears the hotel is almost booked, and the available rates are too high for us.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, or help with how to get to/from Vista Palace
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I have never really understood why everyone has been so excited about La Perouse. The location is at the far end past the Cours Saleya. The hotel offers parking but it is under the Cours Saleya and very complicated to find the entrance. Our room overlooked the pool and was very noisy. We had to sleep with our french doors closed because the people next door rattled on and on in French until the wee hours of the morning. I hope that makes you feel better about not staying at that hotel!

You don't really need to allow one entire day for Eze. You should stop by Villefranche, walk around the port and see the sherbet colored buildings, drive to Monaco, check out the old town and Palace then head up to Eze--walk around for an hour. It's similar to ST. Paul but has magnificent views. St. Paul has more galleries and shops. Then head back to Nice.

You can easily spend one day going to St. Paul, stop in Cagnes-sur-Mer to see the Renoir Musee (rather tricky to find but worth the stop), go to Vence to see the old town (very quaint and unique) then head over to St. Paul--a few hours to walk around then head to Antibes to see the Picasso Musee. You won't travel distances but make sure you buy a good Michelin map of the Cote d'azur before you start driving.

That said, we go to Nice yearly (and almost bought a condo in Vence) so we know the area really well. We have tried all of the popular hotels. Our favorite is Le Grimaldi. We stayed in the superior room--just enormous and ultra comfortable. They even have free internet in the lobby (if you can find the computer not in use) A full tub, two sinks and a complete shower room. They do not offer parking but their is a garage one block toward the water. Last trip we decided to save a few dollars and stayed at the Mercure Grimaldi in the next block--boy was that a mistake. No comparison. Le Grimaldi is on a quiet street as opposed to the Windsor (another popular hotel) on a busy one way street. It would be ideal if you asksed for a room on the courtyard to make sure it's quiet. We stayed at the Windsor at least 5 times but now after discovering Le Grimaldi, we won't stay anywhere else. I had trouble copying their website but try this:
www.hotel-grimaldi-nice.cote.azur.fr
I have heard that the standard rooms are rather small but charming. If you can afford the superior, you will be very happy. June is not far away so you may find that they don't have many choices remaining. Post again if you have more specific questions.
Mar 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM

We also visit Nice nearly every year. If you decide you don't want to get up really early to avoid the summer traffic, you can easily get to both St. Paul de Vence and Eze by bus.

As far as hotel recommendations, I've heard great things about Hotel Grimaldi, but haven't stayed there. Last summer I got an incredible deal on Le PALAIS DE LA MEDITERANEE, which is in an ideal location, across the street from the sea, and only about a 10 min walk to Old Nice and the flower market.

I don't know if they're offering any summer promotions, but it's certainly worth checking.( Leading Luxury Hotels of the World is the website that I used for the deal.) The hotel is a renovated art deco palace, and it has very comfortable (if smallish) rooms some with terraces looking out to the sea. There's also a decent fitness center and small pool on site.
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
kib
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Hotel Grimaldi is booked, and the Le PALAIS DE LA MEDITERANEE is quoting 850 per night - which is out of our budget. Does anyone have comments on the Vista Palace, and how far it is from Nice?
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM

Parking for La Pérouse is in the large lot beneath the Cours Saléya, which is about a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Very easy to find; all you have to do is look for signs for the Cours Saléya. Hotel staff will park the car for you if you wish. We usually wait to rent a car until we're ready to leave Nice, as there's no need for one there. At the La Pérouse you get what you pay for--the sea view rooms with balconies are very nice. It's the ones with terraces that are really pricey.

The Vista Palace is quite a way from Nice, over to the east in Roquebrune St-Martin. Not the best location if what you want to see is in Nice and St-Paul.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM

We needed to stay in Nice one night to catch our flight home last April. Unfortunately not only was it during the Cannes Film Festival but also the Monaco Grand Prix. We could not have picked a worse weekend to need accommodations. We ended up in Juan Les Pins (which I would not recommend) because the entire area was completely booked 6 months in advance. We were also seriously considering HOSTELLERIE LE PETIT PALAIS--it's not walkable to the tourist area of Nice but about a 5 minutes drive to the center. This 3 star hotel has always intrigued me and I hold in my head as a backup if Le Grimaldi is booked. You could book the most expensive room with a sea view and terrace for 150 E. Being in the Nice area would make a better base for you--one day in Old Town Nice, one day toward Monaco and one day to the St. Paul de Vence side.